Clean mesh ?

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
Ben
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Benoit Roche
Company Details: Geometric
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Clean mesh ?

Post by Ben »

Hello,

is there a way to create a clean mesh in Realworks ?
The software creates a forest of triangles, I would like to create a nice grid mesh,

Or do you know options in 3dsmax to clean a mesh from Realworks ?

EDIT : I've seen we can create a plane, make fit to poincloud. and then subdivide it.
So, can we make fit the subdivided plane to the pointcloud ?

Thanks
tchaper
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Thomas Chaperon
Company Details: Trimble
Company Position Title: Senior software engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Clean mesh ?

Post by tchaper »

Hello Benoit,

I think you might want to spatially sample the point cloud, keying in the value you wish to get for the resolution of the final mesh. This will reduce the effet of noise on the mesh.
What kind of object/scene do you need to mesh?
Cheers,

Thomas
Christophe21
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Christophe
Company Details: AB VD
Company Position Title: Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Clean mesh ?

Post by Christophe21 »

Hi,
Exporting the Mesh thru OBJ format and working it in Meshmixer can be a helping hand, simplifying and smoothing it in a convenient way.

I think all the question is about creating a mesh thru "filtering" the cloud you're working on before meshing.

The Mesh function doesn't seem to know how to sample aera of the cloud that statistically and topologically "looks-like" basics solids or "flat" part, in order to reduce the meshing triangle number.

Meshing in Realworks looks like creating a STL file wich purpose is only to connect displayed point with its close neigbour. So, the lesser point you use, the lesser triangle you have. (so the lesser details)

(I've heard of Rhino 3D that do mesh far better ... on this base occur the "exporting cloud" from realworks for that the extra software could read it in a known format (ie e57 or LAS or PTS) and that is another experience ...)

Return to “Trimble Realworks”