Compare Revit model to Point Cloud

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
afsernam
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Andres Serna
Company Details: Terra 3D
Company Position Title: Research Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Compare Revit model to Point Cloud

Post by afsernam »

ecrowe wrote:Hi, I'm wondering what the proper workflow is for comparing a Revit model to point cloud data. I know that there is a surface to model feature, but it seems to always be grayed out. I would like to be able to get an idea of accuracy in regards to a Revit model created from a scan. If there is a better way of doing this with different software, etc. I would certainly be open to that as well.

Thanks!
Eric
Hi Eric,

If you are using Trimble RealWorks, when you select both the point cloud and the 3D model, then the "Surface to Model Inspection" button becomes available. With this tool you can create an inspection map to evaluate the accuracy between the model and the point cloud.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrés
72RPG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Juraj Knotek
Company Details: BAM Contractors
Company Position Title: BIM Technician
Skype Name: knotek72

Post by 72RPG »

A you probably looking for some kind of clash detection?
Kubit -Pointsence how do you aktually want to compare existing model with this? Create another elements in Revit and compare with existing model? Or export to Navis - and run clash detection?
I do not think, there is simply solution.
I would prefer compare Pointcloud and model in Naviswork.
Or in Revit, but be careful with correct position of data and model, there is problem in Revit 2016 when using global coordinates.
ecrowe
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Eric Crowe
Company Details: WM3D
Company Position Title: WM3D

Post by ecrowe »

afsernam wrote:
ecrowe wrote:Hi, I'm wondering what the proper workflow is for comparing a Revit model to point cloud data. I know that there is a surface to model feature, but it seems to always be grayed out. I would like to be able to get an idea of accuracy in regards to a Revit model created from a scan. If there is a better way of doing this with different software, etc. I would certainly be open to that as well.

Thanks!
Eric
Hi Eric,

If you are using Trimble RealWorks, when you select both the point cloud and the 3D model, then the "Surface to Model Inspection" button becomes available. With this tool you can create an inspection map to evaluate the accuracy between the model and the point cloud.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrés
Thanks Andrés, this is what I was originally trying to do. For some reason I can't get the surface to model to be available, just surface to surface. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Do you know the best way to bring in the Revit model to RealWorks? I have reached out to our re-seller, but they did not have experience doing this.

Thanks,
Eric
afsernam
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Andres Serna
Company Details: Terra 3D
Company Position Title: Research Engineer

Post by afsernam »

Hi again Eric,

I think I wasn't clear enough in my last post, sorry! I will try to do it better this time :)

The "surface to model" tool only allows comparisons between point clouds and simple geometries such as planes, tunnels or cylinders. In your case, I imagine you have a much more complex model, so the "3D inspection" tool would be more adapted. In that case, you can compare a point cloud to a mesh.

First, you need to import your model into RealWorks (e.g. using DWG or DXF formats). Then, you need to transform the model into a mesh using the "Convert to Mesh" command. After that you will be ready for the 3D inspection!

Best regards,
Andrés
apjokr
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Robert
Company Details: Construsoft
Company Position Title: Technical Support

Post by apjokr »

ecrowe wrote:
afsernam wrote:

Thanks!
Eric
Hi Eric,

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrés
Thanks Andrés, this is what I was originally trying to do. For some reason I can't get the surface to model to be available, just surface to surface. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Do you know the best way to bring in the Revit model to RealWorks? I have reached out to our re-seller, but they did not have experience doing this.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi!

From your client using Revit, You should ask for FBX file as well. Can be imported much faster (than DWG) and I ahven't had any issues with importing. For small projects DWG works fine.

Robert
ecrowe
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Eric Crowe
Company Details: WM3D
Company Position Title: WM3D

Post by ecrowe »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe I have figured out a good solution within Realworks, but I am intrigued by the other options as well and will certainly explore everything!

Eric
MQuella
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mike Quella
Company Details: Electrical Contractor
Company Position Title: CAD Operator

Post by MQuella »

If you would like to compare a Revit Model to a Point Cloud you need to take a look at Verity from ClearEdge3d.

It is amazing what it can do.

Return to “Trimble Realworks”