LinkedIn vs. LSF

Please post any ideas and suggestions you may have which will help improve this forum.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: LinkedIn vs. LSF

Post by Scott.Warren »

jcoco3 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:02 pm
This place just seems more selfless and logical, with most members making their contributions and helping each other without thinking about the effect on their status/rank/popularity. Of course, I could be projecting those admirable qualities on to the members here, but after eight years of being here I don't think I am being overly biased in their favour.
Altruism at work 8-)

If I could sit here and learn all day, I would.

Can't Stop Learning!
gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director

Post by gabrio »

years ago, googling to find some info about laserscanning world and laser scanner products, I found this forum. I followed all the topics for some weeks, studied the past posts .... and jumped in this exiting world. And now, everyday, I give a look at this forum. “ discussions in chronological order”. five minutes a day and I feel myself as a part of a community, I remain up to date and some times I can help someone. i agree. LSF is more informal than Linkedin. Familiar. A place where learn and teach. not sell.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

That's really great feedback, thank you.

Jason
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

Looks like,
Facebook, Twitter et al (and why you should)
are getting a battering in PCPRO too...

https://pocketmags.com/pc-pro-magazine

*Note:
PCPRO is offering Windows 10 Pro for £39.99 instead of normal price of £219.99
pcpro.link/windows10
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Jason Warren wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 am Looks like,
Facebook, Twitter et al (and why you should)
are getting a battering in PCPRO too...

https://pocketmags.com/pc-pro-magazine

*Note:
PCPRO is offering Windows 10 Pro for £39.99 instead of normal price of £219.99
pcpro.link/windows10
I think print media has been getting a battering from online alternatives in terms of advertising revenue for some time itself now so I'd tend to read any article in that light. The question is whether we should be paying for news and journalism directly or indirectly via consuming advertising. Personally, I'm in favor of the former but it is difficult to get unbiased sources so you really need to be looking at any story of interest from more than one. I'm a big fan of moderated niche forums such as this, where unmoderated forums tend to descend into abuse and chaos pretty quickly and larger broader forums involve a lot of work to find specific information. For me, LinkedIn is a solid and cost effective platform to publicize what you do and to keep in touch with what your clients are doing but, like most things, it takes work to keep effective. For a smaller company such as mine, this is very difficult to achieve via print media even with its online versions. I also reckon single use paper print media (e.g. newspapers and monthly mags) is an environmentally dubious way to consume information at this point in time.

I love LSF because it is a friendly, concentrated forum that is very rich in peer expertise in the very narrow area on which it is focused. LinkedIn is more about marketing. Not entirely sure what Twitter is about but I avoid it like the plague, seems to be about shouting your opinion rather than engaging in dialog.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

This is an interesting thread started by long time friend, Arash, with 9,000 viewers over the 6 years since it started.

I started on this LSF almost 11 years ago, just to see if I could learn something about scanning and imaging from a forum on the other side of the planet, Earth from people that I did not know (I did know a few). We have been in the niche market scanning business with Riegl and Z+F for 15 to 20 years and wanted to see what other sensors were being used to capture 3D information. It has been important to listen and trust the CEOs (Drs. Johannes Riegl and Christoph Frohlich) of these companies as a basis to understand the other information displayed on the internet.

LESSON LEARNED: My mother always said, "It is better to listen and learn than to talk all the time and say stupid things without any detailed, positive information" (like current politicians).

So over the years, we have listened to what others have been doing to see if those opportunities would benefit our company operations 12 time zones away. All my adult life has been involved in research (University of Michigan graduate school, USAF Weapons Laboratory, consulting civil engineering, land surveying, 3D scanning and imaging, University of Hawaii Regent) to improve the environment around us.

We have placed a significant amount of time and money into evaluating hardware, application software, and workflows in all phases of our operations. Some of it shared on the LSF. What I have tried to illustrate on the LSF with my threads is the "Bigger Picture" using screen capture images, which LSF guest visitors are unable to view and learn since they are not registered on the LSF.

LESSON LEARNED: Assets (time and money) need to be spent on research to understand the future, in order not to be left behind before it is too late. Less expensive first sensor cost is not the total cost of operation and flexibility to accomplish more details for your clients.

Compared to the LSF, LinkedIn (I have an account) is business Facebook. I do not want to share with the world what we are doing. I do not want to be linked and associated with people I do not know and ask to be linked with them. So I am linked with people that I personally have met only.

LESSON LEARNED: It is difficult to restore your reputation. One of the important things in life is who you partner your business with and who is associated with you.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Forum Suggestions”