Using the forum solely to sell equipment or services

Please post any ideas and suggestions you may have which will help improve this forum.

Should people who don't otherwise contribute to the forum be allowed to use it to sell

No
9%
Yes, instruments only not services
20%
Yes, instruments and services
32%
Yes, instruments and services but only after having a mininum post count
32%
Yes, but those without a minimum post count should pay to advertise here
7%

Total votes: 44

smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Using the forum solely to sell equipment or services

Post by smacl »

Following on from the post below, I though it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on new posters using this forum solely to sell their scanner or tout their services.
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:42 pm This forum is becoming more of a marketplace for people to sell who give zero input.
I remember the time lot's of discussion was going on about procedures and software tips.
If is a fair point that there are currently a lot of people on here trying to sell second hand scanners, but there are many more posts with in-depth discussion on techniques and best practice that have nothing to do with selling anything. While there are a lot of threads with one-of sales of a scanner they tend to have two or three posts each so don't amount to much of the content. One solution would be to prohibit posts of this nature until those selling had a minimum post count, i.e. were actively contributing to the forum. The concern there is that there could be other regulars here that are interested in second hand scanners and would miss such posts. I also think Scott's point here is well made;
Scott wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 pmFor many small businesses, 2020-21 has been a difficult environment to work in. It's my feeling that more scanners are being sold as economic opportunities diminish--bills must be paid.
My opinion is that one off instrument sales are ok, as per Scott's post above, but services less so. What do you think?
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Using the forum solely to sell equipment or services

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Good post Shane.

I voted the fourth option. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against people selling (i did sell 2 items through this forum myself) but people subscribe. They post an object to sell and you never hear from them again except from the regular "up" post.

With selling it could be even interesting to know why someone sells. This can create a discussion or others who have the same questions at that moment.

Do they sell because it doesn't generate renevue, if they stopped with these services, if they upgraded,... Public forums are not only about taking but giving also.

My 2cents.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by scankukai »

For me, a forum like this must remain a network of trust, with sales of second-hand equipment carried out by people who master scanning and take care of the equipment.
A second-hand scanner still costs the price of a car.
The second hand sale should be framed with a minimum of information: hardware and accessories (+photos), serial number, software provided, calibration date, price (this is not an auction), and access to some recent scans for examination.
Last edited by scankukai on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

This is an interesting question and discussion!

My fear for the fourth option is that then people who are interested in a one time sell (and not contributing), will just post unnecessary things, like greeting everybody in the welcome thread.
I mean this forum seems very interesting for adverting sales stuff and service, so the hurdle to have some posts might be too low.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

I went for the second option. IMO people should be able to freely post items up for sell but in the dedicated thread for it but with a minimum of requirements (serial number,pictures, reason for sell, price, last calibration etc.).
There is no need for a minimum contribution of posts to the forum in my opinion, often people that sell are those regret purchaser that own the scanner for a year and it was barely used, hence they dont have much to contribute to the forum.
There should however be an option to opt out of certain thread from appearing in the recent topics as I am guessing this is what is the most annoying for some people. So people could opt out of For sales & wanted items if aren't looking to sell or buy a scanner. If you are in the market to buy a used scanner you would love to see as many posts as possible, not just from veterant users.

As for service offerings it should be done in DM's only. Asking for services can be public.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:27 pm
There should however be an option to opt out of certain thread from appearing in the recent topics as I am guessing this is what is the most annoying for some people. So people could opt out of For sales & wanted items if aren't looking to sell or buy a scanner. If you are in the market to buy a used scanner you would love to see as many posts as possible, not just from veterant users.

This is quite a nice thought.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

Maybe having sale and services promotion posts not appear in the main feed is an option?

I don't have a problem seeing instrument sales that aren't from 0 post users and seem somewhat sketchy, but seeing endless foreign outsourcing bim/scanning service posts while dealing with a barrage of those same types of email/linkedin messages every week is really annoying.

EDIT: 100% believe all For Sale posts need to have a price in the post, same rule in many other forums I've been in, and it's very beneficial.
Last edited by TommyMaddox on Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

I voted for #3. If a minimum comment threshold is set I'd be afraid we'll just see more junk comments from people who are only interested in bumping their post count until they hit the threshold so they can make a For Sale post.

I've noticed the increase in the number of For Sale posts recently, but can't say it has really bothered me. The only posts that annoy me are the ones where some vendor rep comes in to a thread and replies with "Hey our amazing widget does exactly what you need, PM me for details." Fortunately those types of posts are fairly uncommon, and I just use them as a way to filter out spammy vendors who I'm not interested in purchasing from. Nonetheless, I'd still be wary of trying to ban those types of low content posts as I'm afraid it would put to much burden on the mods and it is a slippery slope. There are a number of vendor reps who consistently provide very good input and I'd hate to lose that.

Personally, I follow the forum via the RSS feed and like having all the sub forums aggregated in to one place, but I can see why some people might want to exclude For Sale posts if they're not interested in them.
Jed
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

jedfrechette wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:49 pm I voted for #3. If a minimum comment threshold is set I'd be afraid we'll just see more junk comments from people who are only interested in bumping their post count until they hit the threshold so they can make a For Sale post.

I've noticed the increase in the number of For Sale posts recently, but can't say it has really bothered me. The only posts that annoy me are the ones where some vendor rep comes in to a thread and replies with "Hey our amazing widget does exactly what you need, PM me for details." Fortunately those types of posts are fairly uncommon, and I just use them as a way to filter out spammy vendors who I'm not interested in purchasing from. Nonetheless, I'd still be wary of trying to ban those types of low content posts as I'm afraid it would put to much burden on the mods and it is a slippery slope. There are a number of vendor reps who consistently provide very good input and I'd hate to lose that.

Haha, just one came up in the autocad plant thead. An edgwise one. LOL
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:52 pm Haha, just one came up in the autocad plant thead. An edgwise one. LOL
I almost linked to that post as an example of the kinds of posts I hate. :roll:
Jed

Return to “Forum Suggestions”