I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Marcin
Company Details: Not Available
Company Position Title: 3D Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Meshing Software - which one to comparison

Post by MarcinL »

Hi Guys,
I am starting to write my master's thesis. The main object is to compare point clouds, which were gained in three ways - C 10, Leica MS 50, and point cloud created based on UAV's photogrammetry. Point clouds presents mining wall in open pit mine in two periods of time, so I have six point clouds. What I want to do is to compare point clouds in each period between methods ( all of them have the same coordination system), and compare difference in volume of rock for each method between two periods.
Which software do you recommend for this task? Of course I would like to use, trial or free version of software.

Quick look at data and testing area:
RGB - points from UAV, red and green - c10
http://postimg.org/image/3wgaemzvn/
http://postimg.org/image/ixehj1aop/
dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel McCurdy
Company Details: Geometria Ltd.
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Meshing Software - which one to comparison

Post by dan_mccurdy »

The free (and awesome) CloudCompare sounds like it is exactly what you are after. It is about the best point cloud comparison software out there IMHO, especially for the grand total of $0 !!!

The developer is on this forum was well, so if you have any issues with it he often chimes in to help.

Dan

EDIT - although I can't remember if it. Does volumetric analysis. Pretty sure it does. I can check later today if you like.

EDIT - Curses - Sorry CC doesn't do volumetric analysis as faro as I can tell. If you have access to Leica Cyclone you could do it in that very easily. If you don't you might be able to arrange a demo license from your local distributed to allow you to quickly do the calculations.

If you're a coder you could try to Point Cloud Library (a free API for doing all sorts of things with points clouds), but it's pretty tricky stuff if you're not a programmer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Dan McCurdy
Geometria Heritage Management
http://geometria.co.nz/
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hi.

FARO offers a volume calculation plug-in for SCENE which can calculate volumes of point clouds against a plane. You would find it online at the FARO 3D App Center.
Not sure if this helps. But I could imagine calculating the volume at each point of time against the same plane should allow you for calculating the differences easily.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator

Post by danielgm »

Hi,

As Dan said, CloudCompare is really suited for point cloud comparison (either between two clouds or between a cloud and a triangular mesh). Getting the best results when comparing two point clouds might not be straightforward but don't hesitate to look at the forum or to ask me directly for more information (cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net).

Computing proper volume difference between two points clouds in 3D is another story. We are currently developing a new tool to compute volume difference between clouds but it will only work with "2D1/2" clouds. Not sure when it will be ready exactly (hopefully it should come out before the end of the year).
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/
MarcinL
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by MarcinL »

Thanks for answers.
Oliver Buerkler wrote:Hi.
Not sure if this helps. But I could imagine calculating the volume at each point of time against the same plane should allow you for calculating the differences easily.
Oliver Bürkler
I am doing it exactly at this way. For now I made some comparisons of volumes of rocks and results are really good. Differences between various methods, and periods, are about 0.2 - 0.3% ( volume difference ~ 15 000 cubic meters), but I've done this in Golden surface which calculates this based on the regular grid, not on the triangular mesh. I must check volume calculations in Cyclone.
danielgm wrote:Hi,

As Dan said, CloudCompare is really suited for point cloud comparison (either between two clouds or between a cloud and a triangular mesh). Getting the best results when comparing two point clouds might not be straightforward but don't hesitate to look at the forum or to ask me directly for more information (cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net).

Computing proper volume difference between two points clouds in 3D is another story. We are currently developing a new tool to compute volume difference between clouds but it will only work with "2D1/2" clouds. Not sure when it will be ready exactly (hopefully it should come out before the end of the year).
Daniel, I am using your software of course, but there is a little problem with comparisons in my case. My clouds are not so dense (especially from ms50), so the distances between point are about 5 - 10cm, so the results of comparisons are not so good ( I suppose that CC calculate deviations, based on distances between nearest points in clouds, am i wrong?) But we can deal with it estimate regular grids, and then compare them.
Daniel is there a good way, to make clear mesh in case, point clouds contains overhangs?
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator

Post by danielgm »

When density is too low, you should use 'local models' (see the 'Local modeling' tab of the distances computation tool dialog - http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... dCloudDist). This way CC will try to fill 'holes' by fitting a surface model on the nearest point and its neighbors.

The result is statistically robust (i.e. when considering the distances globally). But if you are interested in picking particular points in order to read their distance you'd better mesh the reference cloud indeed. In CC you can try the 'Poisson Reconstruction' algorithm (qPoissonRecon plugin). Or use a software dedicated to the art of meshing ;)
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/
Jennifer L.
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jennifer Clear
Company Details: CRKennedy
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Jennifer L. »

danielgm wrote:Or use a software dedicated to the art of meshing ;)
Like 3DReshaper for example :D
It is not a free software, but you have a free trial period of 1 month when you download it from here:
http://www.3dreshaper.com/en1/En_download.htm
One month will be more than enough for your project. With 3DReshaper you can first create very accurate meshes from real 3D point clouds. Then you can also compare the objects to get the deviations between them (as a color map). And finally, it is also possible to compute volumes between meshes.
Let me know if you're interested, I'll be glad to help you through the process.
Jennifer
Jennifer
MarcinL
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by MarcinL »

It sound really interesting. I will try it.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

You could also take sections through the point clouds and make manual measurements, and give a discussion about the differences, noise levels, inaccuracies... etc.
MarcinL
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by MarcinL »

Yes, of course Thad, I will compare point clouds in sections . I am wondering if there are sense to calculate lines of regression for each section of clouds, where are massive and straight rocks, and then compare this between methods. But that is another discussion..

Return to “Meshing Software”