V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

MARKFORGED MARK TWO 3D PRINTER

Post by dhirota »

Two years ago Markforged launched its 3D printer that could print with high-strength materials like Carbon Fiber and Kevlar at SOLIDWORKS WORLD 2014, the Mark One printer has gone on to be one of the the most recognisable and talked about machines in the industry, just 24 months after that launch Markforged have today announced the Mark Two.

The second-generation machine boasts 40% faster fiber printing process, fiber reinforcement in features that are 15 times smaller than before and a host of incremental improvements in hardware, software and materials all implemented from customer feedback since the launch of the Mark One.

All Mark Twos come with Marforged browser based 3D printing software, Eiger, which allows easy collaboration and iteration reviews to all those on a particular project. The software is also capable of optimising the strength in the part by placing the reinforcement material in optimum positions.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: MARKFORGED MARK TWO 3D PRINTER

Post by dhirota »

We currently have a Mark One 3D printer from Markforged. We should be receiving our Mark Two in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

For those who have not worked with nylon, atmospheric moisture, especially in high humidity locations, will affect the quality of the printed product. In speaking with others in the industry that have tried nylon filament, that seems to be their biggest problem. Markforged has taken care of that problem with a closed system, which uses a dry moisture box from the spool to the heated head. Filament quality is one of the most important things to consider, and to ensure this Markforged supplies the nylon filament.

The image below shows all nylon 3D prints with no added fiber reinforcement. The closed impeller is natural nylon, the two piece threaded pill box is dyed with RIT fabric dyes from Walmart.
IMG_1959.jpg
This is a nylon hexagon mesh with kevlar imbedded reinforcement to give it flexibility and strength.
IMG_1960.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: MARKFORGED MARK TWO 3D PRINTER

Post by dhirota »

Markforged announces their newest material which allows aerospace and automotive customers to leverage MARK TWO parts for use in "under hood" applications. This new fiberglass is twice as strong as Markforged's standard fiberglass material and has a 30% higher heat deflection point (140°C).

"2016 is the year of materials at Markforged," says CEO Greg Mark. "Throughout the year you'll see the release of stronger, more advanced materials that expand the range of parts that can be 3D printed."

High-Strength, High-Temperature fiberglass is only available with the MARK TWO Enterprise Kit Model, just as Kevlar is only available with the Professional Kit Model of the MARK ONE or MARK TWO.

Potential users need to be aware that the MARK ONE (Standard and Professional kit models) and the MARK TWO
(Standard, Professional, and Enterprise Kit models) all look the same from the outside (like a MacBook Pro, but the insides are totally different hardware and firmware).

If there are any questions, please contact me.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “3D Printing”