V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: How to print from a scan

Post by tbwester »

mike annear wrote: I'm pretty sure Rhino can "shell" (offset internally) a mesh, but I haven't tried it.

Geomagic is still the best solution, but that is quite expensive.
Cheers,
Mike.

The problem is that you need more than just an "offset". You need a "shell" function - and geomagic is the only one I have found that has it.

Great on all the other options. Frost seems like it might work the best for him, but I haven't tried it - so I don't know the results.
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

Hmmm... You have to run the "MeshtoNURBS" function in Rhino first, then it will offset (solid) the surface.
I just tried it, its very intensive so probably not recommended.
Looks like its back to Geomagic.
Cheers,
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

In a year from now $5000 should buy a lot more than what is available now for a 3D printer. I have the Form 1 which has great resolution but a small build platform size. I wouldn't be too surprised to see another model from them by next year with a larger build platform. I think that your only current selection of 3D printer for color prints is still the old Z corp printers, you might be able to find a used one on ebay.

Are you using Artec Studio with an Eva or with a prime sense sensor? Are you able to mesh a X330 point cloud within Artec Studio?

Warren
JSenior
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: James Senior
Company Details: S-CAN 3D Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by JSenior »

There are quite a few colour printers these days. Stratasys now has full colour fdm machines (objet 500 connex 3) - 3d systems also now has the projet 4500 for plastic colours alongside there re-branded versions of z-corp machines. M-COR also do a coloured paper type machine.

The 3d systems Cubejet looks very interesting which is coming out this year sometime. $5000 for a full colour machine. Presumably just a cheaper z-corp, marketed as being for consumers rather than professionals.

In regards to offsetting and shelling,you probably won't have to. Whoever does the printing should be able to load it into Magics/Netfabb and do the required file preparation in a few minutes. You just have to make sure it's watertight.

Edit: if you want to have a play with it, I believe there is a free version of Netfabb which should sort most mesh problems out.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

This will be quite challenging for sure!
You can split the task in 3 parts:

1 - Meshing
This would involve a sofware allowing you to mesh a good amount of the model. Being so complex you need cleaning and tidying up. You could also check gom inspect (free). A solution would be to mesh small partches of the whole model.

1b - cleaning
you need to clean the mesh, fill holes and so on. It's part of the first step, but it will be time consuming...

2 - creating a printable mesh
You have to create a watertight mesh. Depending on the technology of the printer you need to adapt the model, so it's strictly related to point 3. Rhino will help, you can also check the free meshlab.

3 - printing
There is a huge amount of different printers, ranging from 300$ up to the sky. It depends on process, printable material, speed, resolution, maximum print size and many other aspects.
You can send the model and have it printed with a machine you cannot afford. Check services like shapeways, ponoko and many others. They not only have top level machines, but in time they created a list of requisites for a model to be printable with a technology. This is a great resource in order to understand what you can and cannot print. Home printers are fused deposition, and have some limitations. There are now affordable printers with other systems (form 1 is a great example, and they are in your range too). You can check around you if there is a fablab, an hackerspace or something similar and check for yourself how the printing process works, and what the limitations are.
3D model and printer are strictly related, so know the printer an the technology you'll use and adapt the model to it, or if it is not possible change the printer.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Return to “3D Printing”