Merging drone pointcloud with RTC360 scan

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
virtuoso
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Ant
Company Details: Mck
Company Position Title: BIM engineer

Merging drone pointcloud with RTC360 scan

Post by virtuoso »

Hello guys. Since I have Recap available, I was thinking about using that for merging 2 types of scan. usually we would combine 2 scans (one from drone for the roofs, everything else from RTC). Once I've tried merging my scan that I had imported (e57) which wasn't georeferenced with georeferenced drone pointcloud. Everything was ok, drone scan merged with my scan coordinates from mine scan remained (wasn't georeferenced anymore, didn't need that).

After that I tried exporting georeferenced pointcloud from Register 360 into recap with same drone scan but this time after I positioned 3 points for registration I received message that all is fine for merging, no problem.. After that my scan remained on coordinates it was supposed to but my drone scan went far away from my scan and it is somehow distorted.. Seems like it's coordinate just doubled. Worth noting that Drone pointcloud is rcp file created from couple of .las files.

Bohdan gutnyk
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bohdan Gutnyk
Company Details: 3dm company in kiev
Company Position Title: 3dm
Skype Name: bohdangutnyk
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Merging drone pointcloud with RTC360 scan

Post by Bohdan gutnyk »

I was recording this video for another person with a similar question few days ago. Maybe it will work for you too
youtu.be/c79l3UJ3yko
virtuoso
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Ant
Company Details: Mck
Company Position Title: BIM engineer

Post by virtuoso »

It's neat. I've tried this. My only worry is, when uploading .e57 that came from Reg360, need for decimation. Is still 2bn points maximum limit? I will need to go through process of decimating with Recap and then inserting it in cloudcompare. Actually I was really impressed how both scans were already alligned. It seems that control points in Register360 worked fine enough .

One more thing. I had strange thing happening to me. When inserted .e57 that came from ReCap, my pointcloud from rtc 360 was B/W while drone scan was normally colored (I tried switching to RGB visiblity). When exported back to e57 from CC and importing back to Recap, colors arrived again. Is Cloudcompare struggling with reading e57 from ReCap?

Also the cool thing is that Cloudcompare will automatically transfer points coordinates during insert phase, and when saving without prompting me anything it put it back to real coordinates. Good stuff
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

You willl kill yourself, if you decimate it with recap (slow and bad quality), you can try leica solution (if you have ccp 2021.1 release made available the decimation function to the "poors" (who don't have publisher pro)) or you can use cloud compare to decimate (i think it is better), just make sure that you have enough ram maybe you can do it 2 stage first stage decimate to a higher density (1-2 mm) in 25 setup groups and after that you merge the subsampled groups to your requierd spacing (5-10mm).

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”