Coordinatebug in revit

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Coordinatebug in revit

Post by MalteHC »

Hi all

I have a issue then you model in revit, and try to export the .dxf in shared coordinatesystem, there is a slight offset, i have read a bit at this issue and see that other people have the same problem, but only then thay are working in large coordinates.
My thought therefore is, that it must be possible to translate the pointcloud into a local system, before it gets imported into Revit, and use the traverse-transformation on the .dxf-file to get it back into the original coordinate system. Does anyone know in any softwares can do this?
72RPG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Juraj Knotek
Company Details: BAM Contractors
Company Position Title: BIM Technician
Skype Name: knotek72

Re: Coordinatebug in revit

Post by 72RPG »

Hi

to be clear - you exported Revit model to .dxf and there is a offset compare to pointcloud data?
I am using Revit 2016 (and of course 2015/2014) and we are exporting Revit to naviswork and Glue 360 with no issues.
Can you explain more about this? I assume you developed Revit Model from Pointcloud data in large coordinates and exported back to .dxf a checked again the same pointcloud?

Yuri
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

72RPG wrote:Hi

to be clear - you exported Revit model to .dxf and there is a offset compare to pointcloud data?
I am using Revit 2016 (and of course 2015/2014) and we are exporting Revit to naviswork and Glue 360 with no issues.
Can you explain more about this? I assume you developed Revit Model from Pointcloud data in large coordinates and exported back to .dxf a checked again the same pointcloud?

Yuri
I am working in large Coordinates in Revit and exporting in shared coordinates to a .dxf-file.
The dxf-file is beeing loaded into 3DReshaper and beeing inspspected according to the original E57 pointcloud.
But Revit sometimes offsets the model a couple of cm, as i have read, this is a wellknown fenomena, but it only appars woorking with large coordinates.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

72RPG wrote:Hi

Yuri
I am working in large Coordinates in Revit and exporting in shared coordinates to a .dxf-file.
The dxf-file is beeing loaded into 3DReshaper and beeing inspspected according to the original E57 pointcloud.
But Revit sometimes offsets the model a couple of cm, as i have read, this is a wellknown fenomena, but it only appars woorking with large coordinates.
72RPG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Juraj Knotek
Company Details: BAM Contractors
Company Position Title: BIM Technician
Skype Name: knotek72

Post by 72RPG »

Yes, this is the problem, Revit doesn't like "large"Coordinates. We use pointcloud data for validation mainly in Revit 2016 environment and I always exporting ReCap file in "local" coordinates- with origin in Revit Project base point.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

Can you export the pointcloud, with the same basepoint as the model?
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

Is there any software, that can align a pointcloud to the dxf-file?
james.still
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Still
Company Details: BIM Technical Manager
Company Position Title: BIM Technical Manager

Post by james.still »

easiest is to truncate the point cloud and then set up OS and local base points in revit.
jax120
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Andy Jackson
Company Details: Scan and Model + Project Surveyors
Company Position Title: Director + BIM Manager

Post by jax120 »

This issue is not a coordinate bug but is actually a scaling issue. The larger the coordinate system the bigger the scaling issue. If you have a very large site then this can be a huge problem.

Previous posts are right though you have to assign your point cloud to a local coordinate system close to 0,0. This will mean any scaling is minute.

I am still unsure why this is still an issue when this had been corrected in rvt 2014 update 3. But all revit previously and since has had this scaling issue. I still do not understand why pointcloud insert of by shared coordinates is still there if it does not work.
Andy Jackson
Director
www.scanandmodel.co.uk
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Click on the point cloud in Revit and try "edit type" .. the precision for the scale factor is not sufficient .. that is why I reckon it happens. So you end up with a rounding issue - the cloud can drop in anywhere from mm out of position to 600 - 800mm.

The worst is when it is close .. we have one right now that is about 50mm out - close enough to be dangerous.

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”