3DR Import Times

Discuss Leica Cyclone 3DR software here.
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: VHB
Company Position Title: Geomatics Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

3DR Import Times

Post by JLarson »

Sorry new to 3DR, so bare with the basic questions.

Question: I've registered an RTC job in Register360, Exported an e57 file. I'm in 3DR and went to "Import" the e57. It's been sitting there for quite some time with no apparent progress. There's just a box at the bottom left corner showing a progress bar that never seems to move. Is this normal? Is there a better workflow for getting data into 3DR from Register360? e57 file is about 33GB.
Jason Larson, PLS
gilles_3DR
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gilles Monnier
Company Details: Hexagon
Company Position Title: 3DR Technical Manager

Re: 3DR Import Times

Post by gilles_3DR »

Hi Jason,

True to say that Cyclone 3DR doesn't handle large dataset of E57.

The recommended workflow for large dataset is LGS files from Reg360.
LGS is the format that allows to stream large point clouds into AutoCAD, Revit and many other CAD packages thanks to CloudWorx plugins.

These LGS files are also instantaneously loaded into Cyclone 3DR (CloudWorx Menu / Open LGS).
Note that, in order to work on the data (mesh, run some inspection...), you will have to convert this LGS point cloud into a point cloud that 3DR can mesh or run inspection (CloudWorx menu/ Convert project).
This conversion step will be so much quicker than through E57. The reason is you will be able to convert only your area of interest and the number of points you require in this are.
Your area of interest is defined by limit boxes. I suggest you try with small limit boxes first (maybe 10 m side) to see how that works!
You can look in the documentation center how it works (Practical exercises / Using the CloudWorx module to inspect a bridge).
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: VHB
Company Position Title: Geomatics Manager

Post by JLarson »

Gilles,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Publisher license at the moment to produce an LGS file.

This is a relatively small project with only about 20 scans. Finding that 3DR can't handle it in a non-proprietary file format is a bit of a disappointment...
Jason Larson, PLS
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

JLarson wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:15 pm Gilles,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Publisher license at the moment to produce an LGS file.

This is a relatively small project with only about 20 scans. Finding that 3DR can't handle it in a non-proprietary file format is a bit of a disappointment...
We've been using Reshaper/3DR for a while now and every single one has been with an e57. We had it before we could publish lgs and have never changed our workflow.

It can be slow on big datasets (some of ours are hundreds of GB's) but it does get there eventually. We've just got used to working around that.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

JLarson wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:15 pm Gilles,

Sounds like something is up there... I often use E57 and haven't had too many issues, even with high-res RTC360 scans.

Are you doing any sub-sampling on import?

Remember you can always connect to an IMP file using CloudWorx and convert to the working format also... so perhaps import the E57 to CORE and try again?

Just a thought...
wullbert
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: William Duncan
Company Details: NMIS
Company Position Title: R and D
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by wullbert »

pburrows145 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 am Sounds like something is up there... I often use E57 and haven't had too many issues, even with high-res RTC360 scans.

Are you doing any sub-sampling on import?
What do you typically sub-sample to mate? I'v exported a e57 file which is roughly 100gb into 3DR but it struggles to load never mind navigate once it's on there (I done 1/400). Ideally was looking to keep as much detail as possible when coming to mesh it but just wondering what you typically would set it as :)

Return to “Leica Cyclone 3DR”