Forcing Plane Vertical?????

Discuss Leica Cyclone 3DR software here.
cpw006
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Chris Widmer
Company Details: KCI
Company Position Title: 3D Scanning Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Forcing Plane Vertical?????

Post by cpw006 »

I have a wall that I want to check for any deformations. What I want to do is create a plane aligned on the Z axis along the face of my wall so that I can tell how much it varies from Z.

Shouldn't it just be a simple as selecting create plane, point on selection and picking the top, bottom and opposite end and then changing normal xyz to 0,0,1? 1 being for the Z axis? For some reason when I do this and go to my top view the plane does not look exactly aligned to Z. From what I remember, if I go to top view with a perfectly aligned plane, the plane is not visible. I tried this with a cylinder in the same file and it rotated perfectly along the Z axis using 0,0,1.

Thanks for your help.
cpw006
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Forcing Plane Vertical?????

Post by cpw006 »

I think I figured it out, I needed 1 for my x. 1,0,0 is what worked, I was having one of those moment I guess. I was thrown off because when I tested it with a cylinder I needed to enter 0,0,1.
gilles_3DR
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gilles Monnier
Company Details: Hexagon
Company Position Title: 3DR Technical Manager

Post by gilles_3DR »

great to see you figured it out!
Was about to test and see if I could reproduce!!
Jennifer L.
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jennifer Clear
Company Details: CRKennedy
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Jennifer L. »

Hello Chris,

To make a plane perfectly vertical, you are right you need to change its normal. You don't need to change the X and Y coordinates of the normal, just put 0 for the Z coordinate of the normal axis of the plane.
So you can keep its orientation in X and Y, if ever your data are not aligned on the X or Y axis.

When you modify the axis for a cylinder, you are modifying the main axis of the cylinder, that's why you got confused I guess.

if you are working with the latest version, you can notice that now you can see your plane as a line and your cylinder as a circle when you set your view in top view (along Z).

Jennifer
Jennifer
cpw006
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by cpw006 »

Jennifer L. wrote:Hello Chris,

To make a plane perfectly vertical, you are right you need to change its normal. You don't need to change the X and Y coordinates of the normal, just put 0 for the Z coordinate of the normal axis of the plane.
So you can keep its orientation in X and Y, if ever your data are not aligned on the X or Y axis.

When you modify the axis for a cylinder, you are modifying the main axis of the cylinder, that's why you got confused I guess.

if you are working with the latest version, you can notice that now you can see your plane as a line and your cylinder as a circle when you set your view in top view (along Z).

Jennifer
Thanks for the response, I do have another question.

I am wanting to do a split view report, but my issue is that my wall runs perfectly along the Y axis. In my top down view I want the wall to be oriented so that it shows 90 degrees from how the top down view aligns. Do I have to rotate my coordinate system so that it runs along the X axis or is there an easy way to rotate my top view 90 degrees? I have an image attached. I can rotate the top view cloud, but I am not able to get it perfectly by rotating manually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennifer L.
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jennifer Clear
Company Details: CRKennedy
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Jennifer L. »

Hello Chris,
I am not 100% sure I understood what you mean, but here are some tips.
- when you click on X, Y or Z on the keyboard while being in the active scene, the view will automatically be set from X, Y or Z (front, right, top view). You can also use Ctrl+X,Ctrl+Y, Ctrl+Z to get the opposite view (back, left, bottom view).
- with your cursor in the 3D scene, several movements are possible. If you right click anywhere, you will move the scene in 3D. If you right click on the border of the scene, you can rotate the scene (without changing the view direction).
- if you need to get your data in a specific given direction, then the best solution is to define a local system. This way you can set X exactly in the wanted direction.
Hope this helps!
In any case, when printing a report, you can only have the active view (the one with the red or white border all around). Our reporting system needs some improvements, we are working on it.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Return to “Leica Cyclone 3DR”