Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Terrestrial Lidar History Poster Idea/Info Needed

Post by Matt Young »

Here are some images from a project I worked on in 2006 with the 2500. five major landmarks were scanned and geo-referenced using GPS. It seemed like a lot of scanning at the time but the whole database is 400Mb. A project I am working on now is around 175Gb.
Liverpool.jpg
Anglican Cathedral.jpg
Docks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography

Post by hypsometric »

Wow that's beautiful given the age!

History timeline update... needs more work and data... this a proof of concept... all comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Wow, that is pretty cool so far! I am really interested in this now. I really like how the range of years is displayed. Need to add Trimble TX5 and TX8. Also please define touched. Just physically touched or demoed or used for a project? Keep up the good work, I am sure many people here will appreciate your efforts, I know I do.
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by hypsometric »

Thanks JC... good call about touched... well i figured that if our forum users worked with machine that they could pullup the serial number and that would be "touched"... we could literally count them... and back into a production/sales figures.

People maybe willing to tell us how much and when they paid for the equipment which means that the forum could set a market price for each... like a used buyers guide.... by creating a used scanner cost guideline we can actually effectively control the price of new scanners through price decay guidance. ;)

We could also create a registry that could track units:
This is also important bc people are buying these scanners in the "dark"... we have all heard of people getting short changed from lack of transparency... for example a majority of units for second hand sale are demo or rental... and its often not stated.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

and I thought I had an over-active brain :lol: You seem to be taking on the industry! It will be entertaining to say the least. I am not sure many people will share the price of their scanner, but I am also not sure why they wouldn't. I don't fully understand the variability in the price of scanners, and if it is a bad idea to list out all the prices. Honestly I am scared to list my price. I have developed a bit of a friendly relationship with our manufacturer and I would want to unknowingly damage it, because that relationship has a value. I know consumerism is great, but I also want the manufacturers to succeed a bit too so they can keep making cool scanners for me. Sorry, a little on the fence here. Maybe others will have a different view.
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by hypsometric »

JC you right... I don't want to create bad feelings between you and your contacts... anybody who makes laserscanners has a place in my heart.

But do you believe this 1950's IBM salesman stuff is sustainable?

The industry is holding itself back... if we don't get them to modernize their pricing conventions will be their own undoing... photogrammetry/structured light will dominate and T-lidar will be a thing of the past (and probably twice the price of today) and we will regress in the name of mass progression... Beta-max vs. VHS story.
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Oatfedgoat »

Great image.
No Reigl or Topcon in there though.

Of the ones listed, once I have used/"touched" are Cyrax 2500, HDS4500, Leica 3000, Scanstation, Scanstation 2, HDS6000, HDS6200, Focus 3D, P20, Focus X330.
joe.3dlm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joe Beeching
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager

Post by joe.3dlm »

I also noticed the lack of Riegl scanners on there...!, Also, you've misspelt Riegl (don't worry - everyone does :) )

I can probably get hold of images of their scanners going back to the first 3D scanner they produced in 1998 (LMS-Z210) - in fact I have one of these sitting under my desk:
z210.jpg
I've had the joy of using LMS-Z210, LMS-Z210ii, LMS-Z360, LMS-Z390(i), LMS-Z420i, VZ-400, VZ-1000, VZ-4000, LPM-2K, LPM-i800HA, LPM-321. I can't wait to get my hands on the VZ-6000, complete with eye protection goggles!

Cheers,
Joe
jrbrown
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: John Brown
Company Details: General Motors
Company Position Title: Lead Scanning and Modeling Engineer

Post by jrbrown »

jcoco3 wrote:and I thought I had an over-active brain :lol: You seem to be taking on the industry! It will be entertaining to say the least. I am not sure many people will share the price of their scanner, but I am also not sure why they wouldn't. I don't fully understand the variability in the price of scanners, and if it is a bad idea to list out all the prices. Honestly I am scared to list my price. I have developed a bit of a friendly relationship with our manufacturer and I would want to unknowingly damage it, because that relationship has a value. I know consumerism is great, but I also want the manufacturers to succeed a bit too so they can keep making cool scanners for me. Sorry, a little on the fence here. Maybe others will have a different view.
I'm curious as to why you would believe that the price "given" to you is any different than anyone else. If you're being sold demo scanners then, yes, there would be a significant savings over new but on a new purchase, you're fooling yourself if you believe your reseller is giving you the deal of the century. If you're puchasing a large number of scanners, that's a bit different.

I have no problem listing EXACTLY how much we've paid for scanners over the years. My first experience with terrestrial laser scanners (like Gus) was with he Cyrax 2400

Our first purchase was a "deal" from LEICA where we were "given" a 2500 while waiting to take delivery of our HDS3000. Once we received the 3000 we were allowed to keep the 2500. Nice deal for 250k. :P

Our 4500 was 170k

Our SS1 was purchased as an "upgrade" from our 3000 and cost roughly 100k.

Our first 6000 cost 140k

6100 - never saw a need to purchase.

7000 - ditto above

last scanner we purchased was the 5010c - $85,000.00

Hope that helps.

By the way, you hit gold when you found Gus.....he's definately one of the originals and is an awesome source of information.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

John,

It is more of my complete ignorance in sales that makes me concerned about divulging the price I paid. My assumption is that the price is that same everywhere, but if it were different for good reason, like state taxes or dealer price, I wouldn't want to cause confusion for somebody that may have paid more or less. The price could be the same everywhere, but honestly I have no idea.

Return to “Education & Courses”