V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Terrestrial Lidar History Poster Idea/Info Needed

Post by jedfrechette »

Nice start. I'm guessing the prices aren't corrected for inflation? If not that would bump the price of those Cyrax's by at least 50 %
Jed
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by hypsometric »

Wow jed your right... and that doesn't really seem that long ago... lets hope the fed raise the interest rate a bit in the coming year!
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by hypsometric »

Joe, John, Matt, Scott thanks... working on a interactive framework so that I constantly add data and scanners to the pile... Riegl (got it right, finally!)

So I need to work on the dates... scanner release and retirement dates... I am hoarding press releases... but that only helps with the releases...

also does anyone have pictures or specs about Callidus (Trimble brought them in 2009)

seems like there last models were:

CP 3200 and CPW 8000
nheiska
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Nina Heiska
Company Details: Nordic Geo Center Ltd
Company Position Title: Product manager

Post by nheiska »

I think you should also ask German professors& doctors more details about the early steps of the scanners :ugeek: But some info you can find in "Topographic Laser Ranging and Scanning: Principles and Processing", pp. 97 onwards about Callidus. First 3D scanner introduced in 1996. (http://books.google.fi/books?id=YTxmbD3 ... &q&f=false)

You can find quite a lot of images of CP3200&CPW8000 just using Google image search. Someone has also loaded a charming video in youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QObEY9QJOo
Brochure: http://kmcgeo.com/Datasheets/callidus.pdf
Trimble's first cooperation aggreament in 2002 http://www.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042202b

But many other early, but significant scanner manufacturers are also missing form your timeline. You can check from the book about the others, but I'd like point out the French Mensi, pp. 103.

The company was founded in 1986 and it was a subsidiary of Electricite de France. Its first scanners were short range triangulation instruments (Soisic) and they were developed in-house, not for commercial markets. First long range (green pulse laser) GS100 was introduced in 2001. I've heard that the main idea behind the whole scanner development was to measure the areas in nuclear power stations, where you had too much radiation for humans to enter. Because of the wealth of the EDF, I've understood that a lot of money was used in the development of the hardware and the software: 3Dipsos & Realworks Survey. I'd say that more money than the other manufactures could even dream ;-) 3Dipsos in particular was such an amazing software more than 10 years ago that it was shame to see it go down the drain after the Trimble aqcuisition in 2003. And btw, my boss Hannu can be thanked for the ideas of some of the features still visible in RealWorks Survey today, in particular relating to tunnels & comparisons. They were needed for the Onkalo project here in Finland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onkalo_spe ... repository

Who were the guys behind the algoritms in 3Dipsos? Well, Mensi people but also scientists from the top French research institutes and universities. I met one of those professors some 4 years ago and he said that it was quite a shame scientifically that they could not publish their work. I think so too, because very few people are aware of the work they did now.
Some background: http://www.fig.net/pub/fig_2003/TS_26/P ... vesque.pdf
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by hypsometric »

Wow Nina! Thank you for all the great information and references!

What funny looking scanner the CP3200 is... it looks like that industrial designers were fans of the postmodern product design of Phillipe Starck from the 90's... see attached... bet you he had a hand in the design!

Isn't EDF also behind Daniel's f_ing awesome CloudCompare? Thank god for those crazy frenchmen and there nuclear programs...

Your commentary about RW is inline with OatFedGoat's and my own on page one... So you also believe that we have had a slooow rate of progression compared to other industries?

Also, what are some of the scanners you have had experience with in the past?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nheiska
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Nina Heiska
Company Details: Nordic Geo Center Ltd
Company Position Title: Product manager

Post by nheiska »

I’ve been privileged and used many different scanners & software. I started with Mensi GS100 though, so it has a special place in my personal timeline :-)
Yes, the old Callidus looks like a classic already. It was so sturdy that it probably could have survived a bomb blast… Callidus hailed from Eastern Germany (Halle) and the roots of some of their people went to Jena. I’m not sure if you are aware of Jena’s history in the development of optical measuring devices, but they are long.
Maybe the progression rate reflects the size of the industry? Also, if you think about the mergers and acquisitions we have seen during the years, they are clearly double-edged swords for the progression: sometimes the original bright idea (software of hardware) blooms further, but more often it seems that a competitor is bought off from the market and no funds are streamed to the development, hardware or software, any more. More than 50% of mergers & acquisitions fail, so I’m scared every time I see a headline :(
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat »

Did this great piece of work ever progress further?

Be interesting to also try to document typical scan times for normal use from each scanner as well as typical point density as well.
Would be useful to see progression of scanners over the years.
jrbrown
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: John Brown
Company Details: General Motors
Company Position Title: Lead Scanning and Modeling Engineer

Post by jrbrown »

Great information Nina!

Return to “Education & Courses”