V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Target Spheres for FARO Focus 3D

Post by Scott »

Thanks Jonathan,
I came up with these for a job in Turkey where weight and space were a premium. The prototype worked well despite their thin shells.
Koppa Targets will be making these shortly, with a much improved unbreakable plastic -for those less inclined to make their own kit: http://www.koppatargets.com There is still time to let Tad know what would an ideal kit (quantity, backpack option etc.) would consist of. Happy scanning!
brianpgreen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Green
Company Details: Green Forensics-Azure Green Consultants
Skype Name: brian.green.forensics
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by brianpgreen »

I was just about to email this to Tad. I assume he's going to apply the unbreakable magic substance to the inside?
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

No need -the plastic is perfect for this product -they bounce without a special paint. The coating you speak of is quite amazing, too. ~Scott
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

Koppa Targets will be making these shortly, with a much improved unbreakable plastic -for those less inclined to make their own kit: http://www.koppatargets.com There is still time to let Tad know what would an ideal kit (quantity, backpack option etc.) would consist of. Happy scanning!
Excellent! Unbreakable would be much better. I think 20 in a backpack or a simple tool box like case would be best. We hate dealing with the 4 big cases we normally use, as they really increase the mileage on our feet, and they are a pain to lug around. The backpack we use is fine, I just wish it was something I didn't have to take off my back and unzip to get a sphere out. We were thinking about making a backpack using a thin PVC tube with some sort of simple door mechanism that would release one sphere(two halves) at a time. Similar to an upside down pez dispenser...just not enough time in one day to build all that :ugeek:
brianpgreen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Green
Company Details: Green Forensics-Azure Green Consultants
Skype Name: brian.green.forensics

Post by brianpgreen »

Maybe an Alice pack frame with a couple of shelves combined with some bungies? I bet you could get spheres, tripods and the scanner all on one pack frame.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

I use one of these from LLBean: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61445?pa ... xed-canvas for tripods & misc. gear. Excellent -but I would recommend a very light weight, compact pack for this kit. It's all about minimalism.
~S
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hi All,

we allready have such product in high quality in our webshop. Biggest issues is the fitting of the peaces togehter and we have the smallest size for transport with our solution. For more information, fell free to contact us or visit our webshops in Europe and US.
traveler_spheres.jpg

youtu.be/

..Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tadol
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tad Laird
Company Details: Koppa Target Spheres

Post by tadol »

I'm working on it, guys -

I almost have the unbreakable 150, 200, and 250s completely resolved, but am waiting on more of our new combo mounts that will have both a 5/8-11 female thread and magnet base - we will be offering these with specific offsets for survey work. The test sets have been getting great reviews, so I hope to announce them as a "retail" product within a month. I'm still offering existing customers replacement bodies at special pricing to get more feedback. Also, I'm waiting on our first 400mm unbreakable targets - Why? Because we can - :o

The 80mm trajectory targets are doing well now that there's a great new plug-in for Scene, and I've dropped the magnetic base ones and am instead offering magnetic rods as an option so these can be used as regular targets easily, making these a good option for police, forensics, and anyone else needing a smaller target.

The first 5 dozen split spheres (travel spheres?) will be out of the paint shop shortly. They will not get the unbreakable coating because we are concerned about how it might affect the joining of the 2 halves, the extra weight, and these shells are a softer plastic and don't seem to crack easily when dropped. As soon as we get these samples back I need to do some more testing for accuracy and paint durability, and then make final decisions about the base magnets and packaging. I think at this point I will just bag them and ship them in cardboard boxes so people can drop them in a backpack or buy their own attache type case - whatever style fits you -

I'm trying to keep the website updated, but that isn't my strength. If members of the laser scanning forum are interested in any of our products, email me directly for special discounted pricing. And if you have any other ideas about what we can make to assist you in the field, or improvements on any of our products, please let me know and I'll see what we can do -

Tad
http://www.KoppaTargets.com
Inexpensive Laser Scanning Targets & Accessories
for Architecture, Engineering, & Forensics
"We're right on targets!"
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Scott,

Thank you for sharing this idea. I just received 20 of them that I ordered from Joanne Fabric and Crafts and will be painting them soon.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

WWilford wrote:Scott,
Thank you for sharing this idea. I just received 20 of them that I ordered from Joanne Fabric and Crafts and will be painting them soon.
Sure thing...Make sure to use a flat black spray paint made for styrene plastics: http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K02321000- ... B0002YUDJM, for the first coat. The subsequent flat white coats aren't as worrisome, but pre-test the paints for compatibility. Good luck with them!

Return to “For Sale & Wanted Items”