Design X, Getting Started with Organic Surfaces?

Discuss Geomagic software here.
micro
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Peter H
Company Details: Arcolite Precision
Company Position Title: Manufacturing Engineer

Design X, Getting Started with Organic Surfaces?

Post by micro »

Hi guys. I work for an architectural hardware company and when one of the owners heard that I had been playing around with a structured light scanner he asked me to look into using it to scan and build parametric models of some of the antique hardware in his collection (potentially hundreds of pieces). If not fully parametric then at least clean meshes of the organic surfaces that aren't too big. Our company machines a lot of molds for castings so this would fit in nicely with our manufacturing capability. I just downloaded the demo for Design X and hoping there was some reference materials or tutorials that are more geared more to what I'm trying to do than whats on Gomagic's web site. I've got meshes of a few items we had scanned already. They are each from 100mb to over 600mb (in .obj format) for the biggest ones. I assume the first thing I need to do after orienting them is reduce their size (is that re-topology?) then clean the holes and errors. Design X from the promo videos looks like a good choice for this but I'd like to learn a bit of how to do it and see if this the direction we want to go. Does anyone here work with scans like these (mostly non prismatic)? Can you point me to anything to help me figure out the work flow and how to get started?

Thanks

Pete~
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Design X, Getting Started with Organic Surfaces?

Post by geowac »

Hi Pete,

DesignX is very powerful and has many possibilities for the workflow!

If I remember right, there are some tutorials on the support pages and on YouTube. You can use the older Rapidform videos too, because there is little change in the workflow.

I prefer to use Geomagic Studio for wrapping and finalizing the model, to get a closed STL. Extracting a nurbs model is done in DesignX. My colleges learned it by using the videos - there are some videos for remeshing and some other for extracting the model. Most of the data can be downloaded from the support pages...

Good luck
Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
micro
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Peter H
Company Details: Arcolite Precision
Company Position Title: Manufacturing Engineer

Re: Design X, Getting Started with Organic Surfaces?

Post by micro »

Thanks Stefan.
Is Geomagic studio still a product? I thought that it became X. there seem to be so many products offered by Geomagic for working with scan data I don't know which one is which.

Return to “Geomagic”