I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sean Parker
Company Details: 3D Systems Geomagic
Company Position Title: Senior Applications Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Longtime Rapidform/Geomagic Employee New to Forum, Ask Me Anything

Post by 3DSean »

Mortum wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:16 am
Scott wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:11 pm Welcome to the forum -we haven't heard much about Rapidform/Geomagic in recent years.
It's the high price that's probably kept many individuals from using Rapidform/Geomagic. What is comparable to this software line? Why should we bother with another software product (please tell us)? How is Rapidform/Geomagic different from its competitors? Where does it excel?
Readers would benefit from a current review of the leaders in point cloud software. What is worth our investment (time and money) -what isn't?
Honestly i can't tell you exactly why we have GDX, what i heard is that at the time we started using it (2010) GDX was the only product who was a bit of a Jack-of-all-trades.

You can easily mesh, measure, create solids, etc. and also "Mesh deviation" is a pretty powerfull tool.

I use it to monitor the local church its movements during the seasons:
Afbeelding1.png

And honestly, i havent had a project yet i couln't complete with just GDX :)

The only dislike i have is that there is very few information available online. And the only available manual dates back to 2014.

[Edit]
Just googled it.. the only site hosting the manual now also is offline :(
I appreciate the kind words! DX is kind of my baby, I've been working with it for 7 years now since it was XOR3, and the guy that hired me/my old boss is now in charge of the development. If you haven't already seen the 2019 release (and you're on maintenance), it's quite amazing how much faster a lot of processing has become now that we're beginning to phase out some of the old platform stuff and integrate the next generation tools the entire software will be based on next year or 2021.

Your users manual is available offline in the install directory, which for me is: C: --> Program Files--> 3D Systems --> Geomagic Design X --> Help --> Geomagic Design X Userguide.chm

Unfortunately a lot of old rapidform guides and things were lost when we migrated the old Rapidform tech support site over to what Geomagic used in 2014-ish and migrated both RF and Geo to a new site again last year, but gettingstarted.geomagic.com is still full of good info and even some new content like quick-start videos our team has been hard at work on.
orthogordo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Gordon Rigby
Company Details: Ortho Cast
Company Position Title: president
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by orthogordo »

Hi Sean. Thanks for the reply but we finally figured it out. We forgot to install the file that transform was looking for when we put everything on the new hard drive. That solved the problem.
Martinb9
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Martin Berryman
Company Details: Wanes Custom Woodworks
Company Position Title: Manager

Post by Martinb9 »

Hi Sean,
Thanks for putting out this offer of assistance to the Design X community.
I scan interior commercial spaces using a Surphaser, and use Design X mostly to extract manufacturing information for our own consumption.
I recently scanned an interconnected ground floor, mezzanine and atrium, including the interconnecting stairs and need to extract the existing mechanical (domestic water, sprinkler and HVAC) installations in a 3D model so that I can predictably layout the anchor installation locations for a large ceiling hung feature that we will be installing so that I can provide the layout to our engineer.

I've dabbled with the Pipe Wizard a little, but my results have been disappointing. Before I start fitting circles to each end of each pipe section and extruding solids along a path between the centres of the circles, is there a tutorial or instruction video (in English) showing the use of the Pipe Wizard tool?
In the interest of full disclosure, my DesignX support subscription ran out today, and frankly, I haven't seen enough value in the updates over the last three years to keep paying for support, so I'm no longer a support customer.

Thanks in advance,
Martin
3DSean
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by 3DSean »

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear you're not getting much value out of the subscription. Were you at least able to get DX 2019 before you went off maintenance? It's definitely our biggest release since DX 2016 re-did the entire UI, and our project management team just added some new staff so I'd expect the releases to get more regular and ambitious in the future. Of course, updates are only one piece of the maintenance puzzle and you have excellent (semi) local support from Ira and Josh who you purchased from.

Regarding your workflow questions, did you get a chance to check out our recent Product Spotlight Series 20-minute webinar on long-range scanning tips and tricks? The Pipe Wizard was only one component but the whole video is full of good information. Doesn't look like the recording has been uploaded yet but it will hit this page when it does https://www.3dsystems.com/geomagic-prod ... ght-series

There's not a great video focusing on the Pipe Wizard, which is definitely an oversight on our part and a great idea for another spotlight video. But I have found the help file to be reasonably detailed in the operation of the tool and the various input boxes/sliders etc. If you haven't had a chance to study that, that's a great place to start (there's a serchable index in the Help tab next to the Model Tree, or you can hit F1 while you're in a tool). What in particular is giving you trouble?
krize
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: ben
Company Details: ntu
Company Position Title: Research

Post by krize »

hi there how can i fit a tapered cylinder to a 3d point cloud in geomagic?
3DSean
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by 3DSean »

krize wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm hi there how can i fit a tapered cylinder to a 3d point cloud in geomagic?
Hi Krize,

Can you tell me what Geomagic software you're using (Design X, Wrap, Control X, Qualify, Studio, etc.)? Are you trying to fit a reference geometry cone to the point cloud, or are you hoping for a solid/surface body?
paul4Z
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paul Donnelly
Company Details: 4Z Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: 4Z Pty Ltd

Post by paul4Z »

Hi Sean,

I have issues when trying to edit large mesh files. My workflow is:
Scan with P40
Align and create mesh using Polyworks 2019
Edit mesh in GDX

Ive tried working with meshes around 1.5 - 2.0 Gb and the processes take hours, sometimes crashing my PC.

I want to be able to decimate, fill holes, optimise, smooth etc. but it wont handle the large meshes. Any advice?

i7-4910MQ @ 2.9GHz
32.0Gb RAM
Quadro K2100M
3DSean
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by 3DSean »

Hi @paul4z

Sorry to hear about the issues. Your PC seems robust enough to handle that size data, although we can both agree that long range scans take longer to process than we'd like.

Crashing is 99% of the time a result of something in your graphics card not being set up properly. Laptops are notorious for having their power saving mode restrict software access to the NVIDIA GPU, so my bet is that you need to either disabling the built-in Intel graphics (usually done in BIOS) or forcing the NVIDIA card to run when DX is launched. Some drivers also can cause issues. Have you contacted your local support team to diagnose the issue? Do you have at least 10GB of hard drive storage for overflow?
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Sean,

I am running Wrap 2012 and was considering upgrading. Looking at the web site the whats new section shows wrap 2017. Has there been any update since then? Have they stopped any further development?
3DSean
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by 3DSean »

WWilford wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 am Sean,

I am running Wrap 2012 and was considering upgrading. Looking at the web site the whats new section shows wrap 2017. Has there been any update since then? Have they stopped any further development?
Hi Warren!

This is something that we as salespeople take issue with our Product Management team about for a few reasons. In short, yes, we've had several releases since 2017 - at least one a year. However, PM doesn't believe any of those releases have been "major" enough to justify being considered a new, full version of Wrap (ie. Wrap 2018, 2019 etc.). The releases have had a few new tools added in the past few years, but have mostly been bug fixes. At this point, Wrap is super mature software... there simply aren't too many things that need to be added to it.

Of course, it's not a good look to be selling a software that purports to not have been updated in 3 years, even if that's not actually the case. I'm happy to report that I downloaded an internal beta of Wrap 2021, due to be released in Q3 (July?), yesterday. Haven't tested it, but I can confirm that a host of new tools and workflows are incorporated. We'll have a public beta available next month sometime, so you'll be free to make your own decisions on whether it's worth the upgrade.

Return to “Geomagic”