I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Paul Spacey
Company Details: Bae Systems Maritime Services
Company Position Title: Design Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Design X & Point Clouds

Post by pfc boy »

Hi,
I am thinking Design X should be used for small point clouds and not large scale?

I am currently trying to mesh a front end of a boat as a test piece. The scan was done using a P20 it was all aligned in Cyclone, I have decimated the cloud to a point every 3mm. But Design X seems to be struggling to mesh the point cloud, everything is taking an age to do even though it is a relatively small point cloud.
Any advice would be great?

Paul
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Re: Design X & Point Clouds

Post by TommyMaddox »

We use it on small pointclouds from our FARO Edge ScanArm and large pointclouds from our X330 to model equipment that isn't automatically modeled in InfiPoints.

We don't mesh very frequently in that software because we feel the value of meshing is fairly low. It would generally be easier for us to model it as a solid instead. However meshing speed will depend greatly on your hardware config. Please post your specs, and if needed I can try and run it for you on my machine to see if it's a hardware or configuration issue.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

pfc boy wrote:Hi,
I am thinking Design X should be used for small point clouds and not large scale?

I am currently trying to mesh a front end of a boat as a test piece. The scan was done using a P20 it was all aligned in Cyclone, I have decimated the cloud to a point every 3mm. But Design X seems to be struggling to mesh the point cloud, everything is taking an age to do even though it is a relatively small point cloud.
Any advice would be great?

Paul
Have you had a look at the "Craig Crane Tutorial Video on Geomagic Wrap"?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
pfc boy
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Paul Spacey
Company Details: Bae Systems Maritime Services
Company Position Title: Design Engineer

Post by pfc boy »

Cheers for the responses. I will have a look at Geo Wrap it might be what we are after. Our machines should be fine we have 64bit workstation's and loads of RAM, so can't really see that as problem?? Does Design X work better with less points and better quality of data?
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

I would check with Geomagic to see if the Wrap functions for meshing are included with Design-X.

I use Wrap with data from a Faro S120 ans x330 for small details up to building size projects. I know that if you have a stray point far away from what you are trying to mesh it will stall. I don't have any experience with the P20 data but with the S120 and X330 I run the edge filter from Liber-D to clean up the data within Scene and it reduces the meshing time significantly. I export from Scene in VRML to retain the color. I run the reduce noise filter in Wrap. When you get into the wrap screen keep the delete small components box checked and under the advanced section increase the maximum number of edges(holes). Hopefully these functions are the same in Design-X for meshing and are of help to you.

Warren
MSScans
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dylan
Company Details: Mid-State Industrial Maintenance
Company Position Title: Mechanical Engineer

Post by MSScans »

Regarding this subject, I have a substantial point cloud I'm working with in Design X (around 800 million points) and each process within DX takes a significant amount of time (multiple hours). I'm checking the performance on my computer while DX is running and seeing it's only utilizing around 2% of the CPU.

It seems to me that Geomagic has done a poor job with the performant code on certain processes so as to utilize available processing power.
Mortum
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Robin van der Molen
Company Details: ----
Company Position Title: 3D Scanmonkey

Post by Mortum »

Self taught user here (so dont take my word on everything i say :P )

My experience with GM DX is that the speed of your HDD's is also a huge factor for speed.

Since we switched from a HDD to an SSD I got a speedboost of nearly 50%

Also since I mostly scan single machine's I tend to sample down my pointclouds to nearly 100M points.
The sampling is mostly done overnight, but when its done all waiting times are manageble for me.

(but yeah... GM DX isnt very smart with resource management, I usually run 2 instances of the program at the same time wich works fine)

Intel: 6700K @4Ghz
32GB Ram 2133Mhz
1TB SSD from Samsung (work disc)
6TB HDD from Seagate (Storage)
AMD Firepro W5100 (But honestly i prefer Nvidia for better stabillity)
Sincerely, Robin van der Molen

Gear and Software:
Ye olde: Faro Photon 120
Faro Scene: 2023
Geomagic Design X
Autodesk Recap

Return to “Geomagic”