I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Leo A. Geis
Company Details: Idaho Airships Inc
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Beam/Airy Disk Registration

Post by lgeis »

Thanks for tolerating what is probably an issue of limited value in most applications.

I presume that most TLS units produce a circular-not an elliptical-beam. It would certainly be simpler and less expensive to manufacture, and the symmetry would perhaps better accomodate the production of planar rasters. I am noting that my X330 has a step increment of .009° both horizontally and vertically.

Of course, this is a mechanical device, and no accuracy tolerance is supplied for those (stepping) figures.

Should we make calculations supposing that the Point measurement (either radial or Cartesian) corresponds to the center of the beam/Airy Disk? I would think so, and have found an i3mainz report stating that this is the case ("Investigating Laser Scanner Accuracy").

If we do suppose that the Point measurement corresponds to the center of the beam, our most significant errors may be the vertical and horizontal stepping parameters.

Does this sound reasonable, and can anyone expand on stepping errors (they don't seem to be commonly addressed)?

Return to “360० Panoramas”