Riscan Pro and Cyclone issue

Discuss RiScan Pro & RiSolve software here.
tomkoz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Tomasz Koza
Company Details: Geotronics
Company Position Title: project manager
Skype Name: t.koza
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Riscan Pro and Cyclone issue

Post by tomkoz »

Hi,

We are trying to move with our project from Riscan Pro into Cyclone to do trueviews. We are not able to export PTX files. Have any one solve this issue?

Cheers
tk
dmercel
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: David Mercel
Company Details: 3DUserNet Ltd
Company Position Title: Development Diector

Re: Riscan Pro and Cyclone issue

Post by dmercel »

It is possible but you need to be very aware of which versions of Cyclone you want to process in, and the type of Riegl scan data (.3dd or .rxp). Depending on what the answer is to these two questions, you may have some limitations (colour), but it is possible.
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

dmercel wrote:It is possible but you need to be very aware of which versions of Cyclone you want to process in, and the type of Riegl scan data (.3dd or .rxp). Depending on what the answer is to these two questions, you may have some limitations (colour), but it is possible.
Hi,

You can import .3DD files into Cyclone Register. However, to import .RSP directly you will need the module Cyclone Importer.

I hope this helps.

Phil
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
dlefebvre
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Dylan LeFebvre
Company Details: Allnorth
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Group Lead

Post by dlefebvre »

A co-worker of mine has use Riscan data in cyclone before, he put this together.

The only way that I have been able to import the RiScan point cloud into Cyclone is by one of two methods.
1) You can export the RiScan point cloud (after it has been registered) as a .PTS file.
This happens to take Cyclone some time to import and add the point normals to all the points when it is imported, it may look like it’s frozen and the importing window may disappear, but watch the task manager performance window as to when this finishes. The down side is that it is basically a unified point cloud model, and adjustments cannot be made to the points. For example if the RiScan software was not registered properly, you cannot make any adjustments to the registration in Cyclone. The points, however, should work like normal, and should be able to model off the points perfectly fine.

2) The second method, which I find to be better, is by exporting the point cloud from the RiScan as .3dd files. This will have to be done for each individual scan taken with the Riegl scanner.
This method allows you to register each scan using cloud to cloud registration as if it were from a Leica scanner. However, if the scans from the Riegl scanner are dependent on targets for registration, this method will not work, as the Cyclone software does not recognize the Riegl cylinder targets.

Hope this helps,

Dave
joe.3dlm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joe Beeching
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager

Post by joe.3dlm »

You might have some success using the new E57 export option in RiScan Pro (introduced in version 1.7.1).
You can find it under Help > Wizard 'Export'

Joe
tomkoz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Tomasz Koza
Company Details: Geotronics
Company Position Title: project manager
Skype Name: t.koza

Post by tomkoz »

joe.3dlm wrote:You might have some success using the new E57 export option in RiScan Pro (introduced in version 1.7.1).
You can find it under Help > Wizard 'Export'

Joe
I export e57 file from Riscan (1.7.4) and I have error when I try to import into cyclone...Has anyone tried to go to cyclone from Riscan using E57 or to any other software using E57 export?

Thanks in advance
Jana-at-kubit
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jana Siebenbrodt
Company Details: FARO Technologie Inc [Dresden]
Company Position Title: Product Owner Software

Post by Jana-at-kubit »

Has anyone tried to go to cyclone from Riscan using E57 or to any other software using E57 export?
I did not try to go to Cyclone with E57 exported by RiScan but we tried to import it to VirtuSurv and failed. The reason is that RiScan does not write the raster information of the scan to their E57 which VirtuSurv needs for its planar view of scans.
So although E57 is a standard format not all exports fill all parts of it and thus it might not work as exchnage format in all cases.
Jana Siebenbrodt
----------------------------------------------------------
FARO Techologie Inc., Dresden, Germany

http://faro.com/
https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/
----------------------------------------------------------

Return to “RiScan Pro & RiSOLVE”