Scanning on Ships

Discuss all Shipbuilding Industry related issues here.
rlasater
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Lasater
Company Details: Smart GeoMetrics
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning on Ships

Post by rlasater »

One trick we utilize it to place the scanner in the hatchway between compartments, which gives us the overlap needed to do a cloud to cloud registration. Works on stairs too. The picture below is of the rudder (left) and steering rooms (right) separated by a bulkhead. Two scans in each room and one in the hatchway. This is BB-35, a retired US Battleship (TEXAS)
BB35_steering_rudder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Lasater
President
Smart GeoMetrics
a division of Smart MultiMedia, Inc

[email protected]
MHoogerwerf
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Martijn Hoogerwerf
Company Details: Cofely-GDFSuez
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning Manager

Re: Scanning on Ships

Post by MHoogerwerf »

kendecamp wrote:Anyone have any good ideas regarding scanning on ships in dry dock, that might sway a tad while in dock? I'm guessing you can turn the compensator off and go to work. Also, anyone have any good ideas on getting coordinates around the different areas of a ship? A naval architect/engineer I was chatting with was wondering how we could start from the outside of the ship on the dock and move our way down the narrow stair wells and through different angles of the ship to near the bottom. I have no idea what size the ship is...I think he was speaking in general terms. I've worked in tight areas on oil platforms and in offices, but it seems like it would be more difficult to get around a ship with the limited lines of sight. Any general ideas would be greatly appreciated!

My Scanner is a SS2
Analyse the location: go to that place/ask for pictures and video/look for positions to scan and to place targets etc.
Our project:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZg6DABavM[/youtube]

Return to “Shipbuilding Industry”