Monitoring Structural Movement?

Discuss all Archaeology & Heritage related issues here.
scanmannss
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Mike Blair
Company Details: Stem Engineering Group
Company Position Title: Survey and Design
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Monitoring Structural Movement?

Post by scanmannss »

In the mining industry we often reference the same area for monitoring production and volumes. The first photo shows the original rock in greyscale and the shotcrete added thereafter. The second photo shows a scan before and after a blast has occured. The key is to have a safe control network to resection into and colour code each result. The last photo is where we monitor wear on the refractory lining inside a laddle. I simply set up a reference plane from the outer surface and re-scan the inside for volume calculations. Same senario.
Comparision Crossection.jpg
Blast Face Markup 1.jpg
Volume from Reference Plane 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MIKE BLAIR
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

3D Reshaper can also compare two seperate mesh's created from laser scans in much the same way.

I have used it in the past to map bulges in large fuel storage tanks as a direct comparison to design.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by pburrows145 »

Ben, if you have Cyclone Survey you are mostly there (without having to spend additional cash). Mesh to mesh deviation, Mesh to Points deviation, Volumes etc. It wont necessarily give you the same kind of reports as Qualify and Reshaper etc (though you can colour code in any direction with a few simple tweaks of the coordinate system and the UP direction), but it is a good starting point.

Otherwise the cheaper option between Geomagic, Polyworks and Reshaper is the latter (and that's not just because we sell it - it genuinely is). I would just get a demo of each one and decide which is best for you. Personally I do not get on with Polyworks... :?
alib88
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Alison Bentley
Company Details: WSP
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by alib88 »

Hi,

It is also possible to get the results you are after using Trimble Realworks (Although not for the larger datasets!).
My attempts at this type of work have produced the best outputs using 3D reshaper mesh to mesh function and are also achievable in Realworks using a baseline dataset or from a plane and assessing the difference in normals from the plane, as its important with repeat work that you are assessing from the same angle.
I also found that assessing one face of a building at a time produced much "nicer" results.
Of course if you were doing a non planar object you could create a cylindrical plane. It's then very easy to replicate when you return to site!

Good Luck!
Ali
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Phill »

Ben

If you dont want to do it with one of those fancy schamcy packages, you can do it with Cyclone and Arcgis. Make an alignment lined up with the wall you are monitioring, and change the z axis so it comes out of the wall by moving the up direction to say the x axis. Then colour the cloud using elevation and greyscale with lots of colourchange (256) and a 1 or 2mm delta. Then export an image. Then do the same with the other cloud. In Arcgis do a comparision of the two images (dont ask me how to do this bit, I got someone else to do it). The change in colour values is movement of the wall.

Cheers

Phill

Return to “Archaeology & Heritage”