Question Regarding Determining 3D Volume

Discuss all Forensics & CSI related issues here.
vislaw
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Johnson
Company Details: Visual Law Group
Company Position Title: Principal and Chief Creative Officer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Question Regarding Determining 3D Volume

Post by vislaw »

I've got an interesting case involving a burst catheter being used during a neurosurgery procedure involving critical placement of what is essentially "superglue" into a blood vessel. The catheter failure led to the glue being released into a major blood vessel which caused massive emboli. The glue itself is opaque on the CT scans so it is easy to identify. By stacking the CT scans and isolating the glue I've been able to build an accurate scale 3D volume using 3DS Max. I created elliptical splines for the glue locations on each CT scan and then "skinned" the splines to create a 3D object. Now I want to quantify the volume of the resulting polygonal structure and I'm uncertain how best to proceed. I figured some of you mavens here might have some clever ideas. ... many thanks for any help you can throw my way.
gilles_3DR
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gilles Monnier
Company Details: Hexagon
Company Position Title: 3DR Technical Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Question Regarding Determining 3D Volume

Post by gilles_3DR »

Hi,
You say you managed to create a 3d object. What kind of object is it? A mesh? A nurbs surfaces?
There are most probably plenty of free software which allow to calculate the volume of a closed mesh. Calculation is quite trivial.
If you want to give it a try to 3dreshaper, you are welcome. It's not for free but you can anyhow request for a trial period :)

Return to “Forensics & CSI”