what one should I get?

Discuss all Tunnel & Mining related issues here.
TBranch
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Terry Branch
Company Details: Cementation Canada
Company Position Title: Mining Technologist

what one should I get?

Post by TBranch »

Hey everyone,
Here is my dilemma, I have been tasked with putting together a proposal for the purchase of a void scanner and would like to have some feedback from the group. The primary job is going to be scanning open void, inaccessible by a person. So I need something that I can put on the end of a steel beam, slide into the opening and do a scan. I could go with the Optech or MDL scanners, but would rather get a unit that we can use for other purposes, so along those lines something that we can use a camera with would be preferred

My current thoughts are:
Leica HDS7000 or Z+F 5010

How are these units when set up off level? The reference points will be real world surveyed so that we can tie the scans into the rest of the mine.
If scanning a tunnel is there software that will allow me to cut a slice along the direction and dip of the drift? I see a lot of tunnel software that can cut cross sections, but that doesn’t provide any relevant information for my purposes.

Thanks for any info.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: what one should I get?

Post by Matt Young »

The HDS7000 and Z+F 5010 are both very fast relatively accurate for phase comparison scanners, they also have a range of about 180m. One thing to consider though if you need photos is that the camera will attach to the scanner and may get in the way.

Its worth considering the C10 for this type of work as well as it has a built in camera. Im guessing that you may not need high resolution scans? so the C10 would be comparable in terms of the speed of the scan.

Its a hard decision now because the new phase scanners are almost as good as TOF with regards to low noise and they are of course much faster. The thing to consider is how much data you actually need.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
JGaspar
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jose Gaspar dos Santos Lima
Company Details: NavVis GmbH
Company Position Title: Sr Channel Partner Manager
Skype Name: jgaspar78
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JGaspar »

Some topics that I guess very important to consider:

1) If you will work in voids, will be very difficult to take photos. Or you will bring also, a great stuff of illumination;
2) Generally, for this type of work, like mines sites, you can't have shadows, so, or you will tilt the scanners (Phase or TOF) or you must reposition the station, but remember, it will be in the end of a beam, and any movement will be not easy;
3) This type of works needs so much points? In high resolution?
4) About the method for register / georeferencing?
5) The TIME of post-process vs. time to make decisions for mine planing. Generally, this time is very short;
6) I believe is very important to consider that this type of equipment is made for use in surface, and not in underground, in very hard conditions of humidity and temperature;
7) the RISK of this sensor of a shock or fall , in the end of a still beam.

So, in your case, sincerely, I would back re-think in MDL solutions. Those equipments are made specially for this conditions, with a very fast process and deliverables, with a specifically methods for this works and also, more cheaper.

I have some experience in mining. If you like, please contact me by e-mail.

Hope it helps,
Gaspar Lima
Sr. Channel Partner Manager - Americas
NavVis GmbH
+1 (647) 518-5164
[email protected]
www.navvis.com
clf
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Froehlich
Company Details: Zoller+Froehlich
Company Position Title: Management
Skype Name: chris

Post by clf »

Dear all

Zoller + Fröhlich is manufacturing the IMAGER 5010 and has a lot of experience in tunnel measurements and other rough environments with the scanners IMAGER 5006, etc. As the 5010 is relatively new, there is not much experience with long distances in tunnels, but expected (and tested inhouse) is the device already in these environments. Therefore we recommend the device for your application totally and think, you will have a very universal equipment for many applications, especially rock engineering and tunneling. Of course, the tripod has to be suited also for the environment in terms of positioning.
We recommend therefore the Z+F scanners for this environment and will support you fully.

Best regards
clf
TBranch
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Terry Branch
Company Details: Cementation Canada
Company Position Title: Mining Technologist

Post by TBranch »

Thanks for the feed back,
As I understand it the C10 is not applicable for my purpose as the unit has to be leveled up in order to work and I require something that can be operated when tilted. Too bad too because the C10 would fit right in with the rest of my equipment (TS15 & CS15).
I am not concerned with taking photos in the voids, stopes actually, but would like to have the option for doing other surface work and tunnel work. These is the reason why I am considering these units over the Optech CMS and MDL Void Scan - multi-functionality. We know that we have to scan the stopes, and we know we are going to want to scan stock piles and other infrastructure, so I am hoping to buy one unit for all versus buying a Optech or MDL for the stopes and a separate unit for everything else.
JGaspar
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jose Gaspar dos Santos Lima
Company Details: NavVis GmbH
Company Position Title: Sr Channel Partner Manager
Skype Name: jgaspar78

Post by JGaspar »

Hello Terry,

I understand, but sincerely, all cases that I could see that companys chose for this options (one for all), unfortunately had not good results.

Cheers,
Gaspar Lima
Sr. Channel Partner Manager - Americas
NavVis GmbH
+1 (647) 518-5164
[email protected]
www.navvis.com
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

clf wrote:Dear all

Zoller + Fröhlich is manufacturing the IMAGER 5010 and has a lot of experience in tunnel measurements and other rough environments with the scanners IMAGER 5006, etc. As the 5010 is relatively new, there is not much experience with long distances in tunnels, but expected (and tested inhouse) is the device already in these environments. Therefore we recommend the device for your application totally and think, you will have a very universal equipment for many applications, especially rock engineering and tunneling. Of course, the tripod has to be suited also for the environment in terms of positioning.
We recommend therefore the Z+F scanners for this environment and will support you fully.

Best regards
clf
No marketing here please.

The Z+F 5010 and the HDS7000 are exactly the same scanner with different badges. So it is really a case of which software you prefer using with the scanner that you decide on.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.

Return to “Tunnel & Mining”