software for tunnel surveys

Discuss all Tunnel & Mining related issues here.
cerene_olivier
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: olivier boissard
Company Details: GGC
Company Position Title: laserscanning surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

software for tunnel surveys

Post by cerene_olivier »

Hello

What king of tools exist for tunnel surveys (compatible with laser scanning) ?
- defects
- tunnel mapping
- cross sections
- deformations
- annotations (visual inspection)

I heard about Amberg TMS , Faro Real Reality Tunnel , Trimble realworks .

Does easier tools exist ?

Olivier
pacoes3D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Francisco Escarpa
Company Details: Escarpa Documentacion y Control
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: pacoescarpa
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: software for tunnel surveys

Post by pacoes3D »

Hello,

My experience (more than 70 Km. with Callidus CP3200, Scanstation and Z+F)

I've been working with TMS (very complete; if you use Z+F Imager 5* you can drive it directly); It makes centroid calcullations (optimal section placement vs. theoretical ), that allows regression calculations and is fast and stable enought. If you only have to work in tunnels, get it. Is THE tool.

Worked too with Bentley's Inrail tunnel extension (so-called swiss tunnel). Limited funcions, it's ok to verify the actual situation and volume calculation, but no centroid calculations. It have the adventage of generate a real 3d model, not "projected secion" slices, so in some situations (ribs, for example) gets better results (more real sections). More general tool, and evolving.

Both can create very nice hipsometric strips of the tunnel, very useful to show undercut areas and other issues.

Cyclone, realworks ... really doesn't have a productive application for tunneling.
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Oatfedgoat »

Can I ask a bit more about what you need as an output?

Are you looking for CAD files in 3D, 2D sections etc?
Are you after a text based output for composite sections for any clearance infringements?

For both of the above I have done quite a bit of work (2 entire London Underground Lines so far totalling around 100km, with 2 more lines of an extra 200km to be done this year I believe) using Amberg Rail and it's older incarnation GRP Office.
This software is good for producing composite sections to ensure the entire tunnel is covered for clearance and can also produce sections from much narrower (definable) bands in 2D or 3D.

This is from source data collected form an Amberg GRP5000 system which is bascially just a Leica HDS6000 mounted on a trolley which is pushed along the rails at a slow walking pace.

For visual inspection it is possible to have a free viewer version called Helix View ( I think, I don't use this myself and might be out of date on it). Helix View can view data which has been collected and processed for asset inspection etc.

If the data has been processed to real world co-ordinates it is possible to output pts files if desired. But beware, these will never be as accuate in real world position as traditional tripod mounted static scans.

I know that there is at least one bit of software which is (I think) unofficially available which can convert these pts files into TruView data sets. But beware, they take a LOOOONG time to crunch the data but take very little user input so it's great if you have a few spare PC's doing nothing and want some nice Truview data for circulation.
cerene_olivier
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: olivier boissard
Company Details: GGC
Company Position Title: laserscanning surveyor

Post by cerene_olivier »

Hello

Excuse me to reactivate this very old topic ...
But this question remains ?
Which software do you use for tunnel applications ?

I now use TMS. It works great for certain applications.
But I research tools to optimize point cloud processing workflow.
Particularly from PTS file (or ZFS) generated by HDS scanners ....

Olivier
Leonardo.Inocencio
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Leonardo Campos Inocencio
Company Details: UNISINOS University
Company Position Title: Survey Engineer Professor

Post by Leonardo.Inocencio »

Hello,

In my case i did a tunnel twice, the first time to calculate the total rock volume extracted and the second time to calculate the concrete used in the walls. I did the sections (10 cm) and all the other calculations in the first time using 3D Reshaper and in the second time i used Cyclone for the ground volume and the 3D Reshaper for the rest. I tried to get in contact with amberg to a demo of other softwares but they never returned the contact.

Return to “Tunnel & Mining”