Cross section management and Over& under break in cyclone

Discuss all Tunnel & Mining related issues here.
Hedayat
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Amir Hedayat
Company Details: Geobite CO.
Company Position Title: Sales Manager

Cross section management and Over& under break in cyclone

Post by Hedayat »

We have an Leica scanstation2 Scanner and are going to use it in an underground city tunnel (3600m in 2 way=7200m) to measure the over break and under break and also deviation from center line .
The question is :
Is there any body have such an experience ? Can we use Cyclone 6.0 to do the meshing,profiling and over& under break calculation in cyclone?Do you have any suggestion for a Sw application to do it better and easier?

Thanks for your guides.

AMIR
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cross section management and Over& under break in cyclone

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Hey Amir,

How much time do you have for the fieldwork? Scanning 7km undergroud with a SS2 is going to be very time consuming, I would recommend phase based sloution such as Leica HDS6000, Faro LS120. In terms of processing SW I would recommend Cyclone 6 for the registration, Cloudwork if you have it for the cross sections and a third party package such as Polyworks or Geomagic for the meshing. The meshing tools in Cyclone are pretty poor for this type of work. I have personally used Geomagis Studio 9 64bit for meshing a 300m tunnel in the past and it works great, especially the hole filling tool when working on something like a tunnel,

best of luck,

Chris
joe.3dlm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joe Beeching
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by joe.3dlm »

Amir,

Regarding the data capture - as an alternative to the "traditional" scanning method you could hire a mobile scanning system (there are a number on the market - including our StreetMapper 360 (http://www.streetmapper.com/)) which could complete the scanning work in half an hour.

We have achieved 10mm positional accuracy in tunnels of this length, using control points at approx 100m intervals to correct for the lack of GPS. (Our system achieves this partly by using a very high grade Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU).)

Or are you looking for better positional accuracy than this?

Joe
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

I would use 3D Re-Shaper for meshing the tunnel and producing section linework. 3D Re-Shaper is cabable of producing very detailed mesh's and the tools are easy to use.

If you are interested in a demo of 3D Re-Shaper then let me know and I will produce a sample with some of your data.

Matt
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Geoscan
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tyler Enright
Company Details: Enright Consulting Ltd.
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Cross section management and Over& under break in cyclon

Post by Geoscan »

Hey Joe,
Could you tell me more about how you managed 10mm accuracy in tunneling. What Scanner and IMU were Used and how your control network was setup up. I am looking to repeat this process within the year. I am concerned of the drift without constant adjustment. Thanks.
scanmannss
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Mike Blair
Company Details: Stem Engineering Group
Company Position Title: Survey and Design
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Cross section management and Over& under break in cyclon

Post by scanmannss »

I always push through with a total station first and close my traverse then hit the points with target scan on the way through to garantee accuracy. I have made up a coupler that allows me to attached a prism to shoot and then later attached the paddles with the same offset centre for scanning. Plus when checking the data at days end, I can reference my control ties along the way and detect deviations. Sounds like an awesome undertaking. Have fun, and 3d reshaper is a great software...
MIKE BLAIR

Return to “Tunnel & Mining”