Chamber Scanning - Phase-based

Discuss all Tunnel & Mining related issues here.
Alrawli
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Al Rawlinson
Company Details: Digital Design Studio CDDV
Company Position Title: Head of Data Acquisition
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Chamber Scanning - Phase-based

Post by Alrawli »

Some excellent results, im interested in the application of the textures in Geomagic. is this done by mapping photographs directly onto the mesh or through vertex colour from the point data? is it possible to export the completed mesh with the texture to something like OBJ where it can then be lit and rendered in other software.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Hi All,

The chamber data was roughly 5gb (but this was sub-sampled at 1/4) - I only imported 100% into a duplicate database for TruView generation (which bloated it to 13GB).

I unified the database with a 6mm average point spacing and exported into PTS for use in Geomagic - I think the PTS file was around the 2gb mark - but what you can see in the images was handled rather capably by a somewhat ailing machine.

If you had a beastly 64-bit workstation I can imagine a 20GB file would be fine - but splitting it up would certainly be an option.

Ask Chris about the colour - I haven't used it in Geomagic.
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Hey all,

I managed to find that tunnel I modelled In Geomagic Studio 10 x64 last year. Somewhere around 100m long, 10-12 scans with a HDS6000 at highest resolution and imported at 100% so there was a lot of points to filter, probably close to 750,000,000 points in all. I split the scan data into 5 sections for modelling in Geomagic, the 2 access shafts, and 3 sections of the main tunnel. Redundant or unnecessary data was first removed. Filtering processes were run on each section(select disconnected, outliers, reduce noise and uniform sample) to clean the data for meshing or wrapping as it is called in Geomagic.

Each section was then wrapped and hole filing carried out to create a watertight model. When each section was completed they were joined together using the rewrap too. You select the area where the two models meet, highlight it, and rewrap it to join them together.
Once the model was completed it was decimated to a more usable polygon count and exported as a .obj (wavefront object).

Below are some screen shots of the access shafts and the finished model, unfortunately can't seem to locate the main body of the tunnel (.imp's coming out of my ears!!) in the process of reorganising storage but you can get the picture. Getting survey control in and out of the access shafts was the most difficult part of this job! producing the finished model took approx 3 days. This is a powerful piece of software which I highly recommend to anyone producing highly detailed 3d models.

Cheers,

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

Hi Chris,

Daft question, I am sure you'll have an answer, but why did you pull 100% of the data in?

With an object such as this, by the time you've run all the filters in Cyclone/GM you might have just as well used 1/16 sub-sample, saving you a LOT of time on import.

I'm not criticising, just interested (You obviously have more PC power to abuse than me!). I have only ever pulled in 100% of a job consisting purely of highest data-sets once, and that was purely so the TruView looked perfect.

Speak again soon...
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Hey Paul,

I brought in all the points for 3 reasons, I was testing out the capabilities of the 64 bit version of the software, the client also wanted a TruView an we produced an animation In pointools also. But I prefer to bring in all the points when I'm importing for almost all of our jobs. Zfs files get misplaced and if you need to revisit a job as we have had to do a lot recently its better to have all the data in one place than rooting for zfs files to reimport, just buy lots of storage!

cheers,

Chris
dsgrant
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Darion
Company Details: Purdue Univeristy
Company Position Title: Graduate Student
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dsgrant »

Hi Paul,
I am researching cloud-to-cloud registration specifically in scenarios such as tunnels/mines where there is either restraints on placing targets or poor geometric configuration.

Is it possible to look at the diagnostics from your cloud-to-cloud registration and even obtain a copy of your data?

Darion
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

The data cannot be handed out for various reasons but I will send you the diag. report happily... It's on another Laptop, so a little patience is required to root it out, but safe to say I will email it across...

Will the text report from Cyclone and a screenshot of the constraints list be enough?

PM me your email/contact details.
dsgrant
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Darion
Company Details: Purdue Univeristy
Company Position Title: Graduate Student
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dsgrant »

Paul,
Yes the Cyclone diagnostics and the screen shot will suffice.

Thanks,
Darion

Return to “Tunnel & Mining”