Laser Scan a 500m vertical access shaft

Discuss all Tunnel & Mining related issues here.
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Laser Scan a 500m vertical access shaft

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Hey Guys,

I have a project that's come up that involves laser scanning a 500m vertical access shaft for an underground mine. Its been widened to take more people and ore to & from underground. It needs to be scanned pre & post widening and has an accuracy requirement of about 15mm due to the lining they plan to use. I've been asked to come up with a methodology. I can come up with a plan for the pre widening survey as the existing access basket will be in place and we can scan from that at intervals making sure its stabilised. The problem I have is the post widening survey as there will be nothing in the shaft, no basket, cables etc. I've been trying to think of ways we could lower a scanner but can't seem to find a suitable system or method. I was thinking maybe a system like a Geoslam Revo lowered and raised on a cable with control points at the top and bottom (won't have access to put targets in along the shaft). I'm not sure how accurate this would be and how much drift there would be in this type of system over 500m. Anyone out there completed a job like this? Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Chris
stuartcadge
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stuart Cadge
Company Details: GeoSLAM
Company Position Title: Global Marketing and Comms Executive
Skype Name: Stuart Cadge

Re: Laser Scan a 500m vertical access shaft

Post by stuartcadge »

Hi Chris,

Sounds like an interesting project you have there. This sounds like something the REVO could potentially help out with. Coincidentally we are carrying out some similar trials over the next couple of weeks, so we will know more on the feasibility of this soon...

If you'd like to send me a quick email we can start up a dialogue and I can let you know how the trials go?

[email protected]

Cheers
Stuart Cadge
Global Marketing & Communications Executive
GeoSLAM Ltd
Diamond Digger
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sergey Reznichenko
Company Details: Sight Power Inc
Company Position Title: President and CEO
Skype Name: sergrez

Post by Diamond Digger »

christopherbyrne18 wrote:Hey Guys,

I have a project that's come up that involves laser scanning a 500m vertical access shaft for an underground mine. Its been widened to take more people and ore to & from underground. It needs to be scanned pre & post widening and has an accuracy requirement of about 15mm due to the lining they plan to use. I've been asked to come up with a methodology. I can come up with a plan for the pre widening survey as the existing access basket will be in place and we can scan from that at intervals making sure its stabilised. The problem I have is the post widening survey as there will be nothing in the shaft, no basket, cables etc. I've been trying to think of ways we could lower a scanner but can't seem to find a suitable system or method. I was thinking maybe a system like a Geoslam Revo lowered and raised on a cable with control points at the top and bottom (won't have access to put targets in along the shaft). I'm not sure how accurate this would be and how much drift there would be in this type of system over 500m. Anyone out there completed a job like this? Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris
Haven't logged in for a long time so missed your query. Are you still looking for an advice?
We scanned few shafts even deeper than yours with no hoisting facilities inside. If the job still pending you can write to my personal email: [email protected]
Kind regards
Sergey
Last edited by Diamond Digger on Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

Hi Sergey,

I tried to send you an email to the address you provided and I got an "undeliverable error". Can you shoot me a note to [email protected] when you get a moment?

Thanks,
-S.
walkerrichard
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Walker
Company Details: Point Cloud Solutions
Company Position Title: Canadian Distributor for GeoSLAM Scanner

Post by walkerrichard »

Buy or lease a GeoSLAM unit, from a GeoSLAM provider.
Or if budget is a constraint I have a couple of old Zeb1's which will get much, much better than spec and they have an articulating fixture for steady scans.
These are available as posted in the kit for sale section - we can sell and ship used gear anywhere.

Cheers,
RW
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

christopherbyrne18 wrote:.... and has an accuracy requirement of about 15mm due to the lining they plan to use.
When it comes to accuracy there are important details to remember. Local accuracy and network accuracy which are not the same.

•Local accuracy (or relative accuracy) represents the uncertainty in the positions relative to the other adjacent points to which they are directly connected.

•Network accuracy (or absolute accuracy) requires that a position’s accuracy be specified with respect to an appropriate truth set such as a national geodetic datum.

This will drive the equipment to be used and the methodology you'll need to complete the project.
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
SKALA 3D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Artur Adamek
Company Details: SKALA 3D
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: Polararti

Post by SKALA 3D »

Hi,

It's probably too late, but for the future.
My company has developed an automatic precision scanning system for mining shafts.
Here are more details:

https://www.gim-international.com/conte ... ine-shafts

https://www.azomining.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1621

https://skala3d.pl/en/technologies/mobi ... ystem-mss/

Regards,
Artur

Return to “Tunnel & Mining”