I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Chris Palmer
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: 3D Documentation Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: What is BIM?

Post by ChrisJPalmer »

Can't help but throw my ore in here....

Most of the Laser Scan to existing Revit models I have produced are not really BIM at all. They are just existing Revit models of buildings.

However we have tried to model them in such a way that they can be incorporated into the BIM process for a refurbishment scheme. My approach is to try and create as much of a useful database as possible, so we are creating families for as many components as possible and breaking the model down / classifying model elements so it can be interrogated and scheduled from. This is the approach used to create a BIM of a new build architectural project (going as far as pre-fabrication etc if you ask some), so I am thinking about reversing that process as far as practical really. Certainly this is the approach I take for models I've built to use in my own refurbishment schemes.

Importantly though, the above is really an ideal to strive towards and is obviously going to be subject to the LOD agreed with the client and trying to make the time / cost element of the Scan to BIM project or refurb job profitable.

So I would consider a Scan to Revit deliverable to be the equivalent of an empty coat hanger. It can be phased and extended to incorporate the new works, Meta data can then be added to it and it can be brought into a common data environment to then become part of the BIM process for Clash Detection, 4D and 5D scheduling and to provide data drops etc etc etc.

In relation to FM I know that one of my former clients is using a model we built as the basis for a 5 year rolling refurbishment scheme of the full building, with the original as built constantly updated as projects are completed and farmed out to each consultant who wins the next job as the existing model of the building. Time will tell how this works out and it would make an interesting case study but I think it's a great approach to have.

In relation to the RICS, I think they desperately need engage their members to develop some modelling standards and recognised LOD's for this type of work..... that's if they haven't already and I missed out !
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat »

You were one of the people/companies I had in mind when I only said "most" survey companies don't understand or are not part of the BIM process.
It's probably worth mentioning Chris that the company you refer to in your post was not a survey company. You just happened to be carrying our laser scan surveys in for an architectural/BIM company and hence have a far higher understanding of BIM than 99.99999% of people in the survey industry.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

ChrisJPalmer wrote:So I would consider a Scan to Revit deliverable to be the equivalent of an empty coat hanger. It can be phased and extended to incorporate the new works, Meta data can then be added to it and it can be brought into a common data environment to then become part of the BIM process for Clash Detection, 4D and 5D scheduling and to provide data drops etc etc etc.
I haven't really done any of this type of work so you'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious about the process. If I understand the coat hanger analogy correctly, the actual point cloud would be a spool of wire? Do clients put much value in that data or from their perspective does everything begin with component models generated in Revit et. al.?

I suspect modeling and building the database are by far the most expensive parts of the process so I could imagine a scenario where it would make sense to scan a larger part of a facility while on location and the startup costs have already been committed even if the intention is to only model a small subset. That would seem to require a rather forward looking client and the assumption that the building won't change much between when you collect the scans and might want to use them down the road. In practice does that ever happen?
Jed
ChrisJPalmer
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Chris Palmer
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: 3D Documentation Engineer

Post by ChrisJPalmer »

Do clients put much value in that data or from their perspective does everything begin with component models generated in Revit et. al.?
I suppose it depends client to client, sector to sector. I can image the scan data of a heritage building may be of more value to a client than the scan data of a 1960's office building. But again that would be subjective as to what they intended to do with it, possibly the capability for TruViews / WebShare may be more valuable to a client in PetroChem and the Offshore industry.
I suspect modeling and building the database are by far the most expensive parts of the process so I could imagine a scenario where it would make sense to scan a larger part of a facility while on location and the startup costs have already been committed even if the intention is to only model a small subset. That would seem to require a rather forward looking client and the assumption that the building won't change much between when you collect the scans and might want to use them down the road. In practice does that ever happen?
Not in my experience but I can't speak for the industry as a whole !

We did a scan / model of a 6 storey building and only did 2 floors upfront with the rest to follow as the client didn't want to pay for the full scan upfront.
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Phill »

All

Thanks for all the opinions, links and info. As I suspected what I am doing is far from BIM. I like the coathanger anogloy. Scan cloud is the wire, a model of exsiting compoents is the coathanger, and from there you can hang whatever you like on it (and as much lace and diamonties as you like). Without the coat hanger, the "I" data (piece of clothing) is just a mess laying on the floor.

Cheers

Phill
mayuresh
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mayuresh Sorap
Company Details: XS CAD Limited
Company Position Title: Marketing
Skype Name: Mayuresh XS CAD INDIA

Post by mayuresh »

Hi,

Building Information Modelling is becoming increasingly vital for recent construction projects. Not only does it provide a digital representation of a building project, it also simplifies superior levels of collaboration and interoperability within the design environment. :)

Return to “Building Information Modeling [BIM]”