V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Latest Scan to BIM software

Post by MarkJLane »

Hi team,

I'm shopping for a pointcloud application featuring compatability with Revit. There seems to be many new programs with very different workflows for processing scan to BIM. I'd like to find the most efficient/best value solution to offer my employer since we're keen to do this in house.

I have sought trial versions for the following apps for evaluation...EdgeWise, PointSense, Vision Lidar, PointCab, & Cloudworx.

Can anyone offer their experiences with these packages, or make any recommendations?

Many thanks
Mark
neeravbm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Neerav Mehta
Company Details: Indoor Intelligence
Company Position Title: CTO
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Latest Scan to BIM software

Post by neeravbm »

Answer will change depending on the features that you are looking for. I don't have much experience with CloudWorx or Vision Lidar. Based on the videos I have seen, Vision Lidar seems to have cool automatic object recognition capabilities.

PointCab is extremely good at converting a section to a vectorized image, that you can import into Revit and trace over to create a model. It also allows you to click on points and create walls/floor plan. I don't think PointCab does pipe extraction.

Edgewise does pipe, steel and wall extraction. They have a stand-alone software where you extract the things you need and then import all those objects into Revit. Extraction is more or less automatic, although you may need to spend some time cleaning up the automatically created geometry.

Pointsense Revit add-in allows you to extract pipes by clicking on a couple of point on the pipe. Unlike Edgewise, there is no batch extraction of pipes. This also means that you spend less time cleaning up automatically extracted geometry. Since this is a Revit add-in, you don't need to export/import point cloud from a stand-alone software, such as Edgewise, into Revit. Pointsense also lets you generate an ortho-image, which you can import into Revit family editor to create a new family. I could be wrong but I don't think PointSense creates walls for you.

A plug for our company: We are creating the most affordable scan to BIM Revit add-in. For now it's going to extract only straight pipes from point cloud. We'll release our beta version in a week or so. Sign up now at https://scantobim.xyz to get 80% off!
Neerav Mehta
CTO, Indoor Intelligence
Creators of http://scantobim.xyz and http://rep3d.com
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MarkJLane »

Thanks Nirav, I'm keen to check out your Revit add-in. Already subscribed to early access.

The features I'm looking for are structure & MEP feature detection. I think Vision Lidar looks the most promising with its AI object detection - not sure it does pipes though.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
ChrisJPalmer
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Chris Palmer
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: 3D Documentation Engineer

Post by ChrisJPalmer »

Hi Mark,

I am running a webinar on Pointsense for Revit next Thursday, you can register here if you would like to sign up.

https://www.faro.com/en-gb/events/faro- ... t-webinar/

Not sure if the time difference will work for Australia !

Cheers,

Chris
RobM
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Robin Miller
Company Details: My own boss
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by RobM »

Hi Mark,

I was just where you are about two years ago. Pretty much looking at every softwaresolution available.
I ended up buying Pointsense from Faro as IMO its the most comfortable and versatile solution on the market and works as a Revit Addon. The only thing I don't like is the use of VirtuSurv as it creates another project and basically doubles your data.
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MarkJLane »

Hi Rob, thanks for your input.

Having tested a few apps, I'm leaning toward Pointsense also. It seems to do eveything I need...topology, MEP, structure. However most of our work demands MEP modelling which can be very slow using the manual tools in Pointsense - the 1000's of pipes and ducts is blowing out our modelling time.

That's where I find Edgewise interesting. The automatic batch extraction is very appealing, especially when it comes to MEP. I'm looking at obtaining a demo for evaluation against Pointsense. I'll post an update afterwards.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
Roger King
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Roger King
Company Details: USA
Company Position Title: Engineering Design Company

Post by Roger King »

Hi Guys,

It was great to know about your eagerness to understand, analyse and conclude with some valuable solution for your employer. You have already done your homework regarding the various available software. I would recommend to initially understand your current and upcoming requirement pertaining to purchase of this feature. Then you can check and test on a free trial or view videos as per your requirement and conclude with the best solution.

Thanks & regards
Roger King
BIM Software
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Post by scott.diaz »

Regarding PointSense for Revit, I noticed the mention of VirtuSurv in the thread. I totally agree that it blows up the file size and can slow the process for PointSense for Revit users. That's why i really tend to lean on the more recently released Send2Revit App for SCENE. This way a user can kick-out VirtuSurv and immediately start sending data to Revit from SCENE (with or without a point cloud in Revit). By the way, we just re-branded PointSense to FARO "As-Built for Revit." Might take a while for that to catch-on considering some people still call it kubit

youtu.be/KTpNGGmK1Y0

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTpNGGmK1Y0[/youtube]
ReneeDegutis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Renee Degutis
Company Details: SHSU
Company Position Title: professor

Post by ReneeDegutis »

Answer will change depending on the features that you are looking for. I don't have much experience with CloudWorx or Vision Lidar. Based on the videos I have seen, Vision Lidar seems to have cool automatic object recognition capabilities.

PointCab is extremely good at converting a section to a vectorized image, that you can import into Revit and trace over to create a model. It also allows you to click on points and create walls/floor plan. I don't think PointCab does pipe extraction.

Edgewise does pipe, steel and wall extraction. They have a stand-alone software where you extract the things you need and then import all those objects into Revit. Extraction is more or less automatic, although you may need to spend some time cleaning up the automatically created geometry.

Pointsense Revit add-in allows you to extract pipes by clicking on a couple of point on the pipe.
Unlike Edgewise, there is no batch extraction of pipes. This also means that you spend less time cleaning up automatically extracted geometry. Since this is a Revit add-in, you don't need to export/import point cloud from a stand-alone software, such as Edgewise, into Revit. Pointsense also lets you generate an ortho-image, which you can import into Revit family editor to create a new family. I could be wrong but I don't think PointSense creates walls for you.

A plug for our company: We are creating the most affordable scan to BIM Revit add-in. For now it's going to extract only straight pipes from point cloud. We'll release our beta version in a week or so. Sign up now at https://scantobim.xyz to get 80% off!
Hello Neerav,

I've been using Pointsense for topology mostly. And now I want to try something else. What is the best option after Pointsense for me to try (basically, topology tasks)?

Thank you,
Renee
tomii7
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tomasz Gerlich
Company Details: OutPut Precision Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: tomek.gerlich

Post by tomii7 »

Mark,

Theoretically you can stay only with your one of the newest REVIT versions.

Stand-alone Revit without plugins is good also. Plugins are very powerfull when your machine is standard or weak computer spec.
Sometimes also is better to stay with client spec and use only Revit without plugins. This magic software doesn't like 'big' coordinates, so at this point working with national grids is tricky but can work nicely.

Also other LSF members explained advantages and disadvantages of plugins. As A LEICA user I can recommend Cloudworx. It has built a few nice options.
-----
Best Regards,
Tomasz Gerlich

tomaszgerlich[at]outputprecision.com or tomaszgerlich[at]gmail.com
+44 7756613300

www.outputprecision.com - Reality Capture
www.realitycapture3d.com - Matterport

OutPut Precision Ltd, Manchester, UK

Return to “Building Information Modeling [BIM]”