GIS System for the Petrochemical Industry

Discuss all Oil & Gas Industry related issues here.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

GIS System for the Petrochemical Industry

Post by Matt Young »

Most of the scanning and modelling projects I have worked on across the world have been relatively small in comparison to the overwhelming size of some industrial refineries. There have been one or two projects where we have scanned the entire plant and built a model of the whole thing. The ultimate aim when scanning an entire plant enviroment is to create an intelligent model that can be used by the plant owner to manage plant maintainance, to the best of my knowledge this has never been succsesfully acheived on a large scale.

I am now looking to find the best software package to create a fully intelligent 3D model of a refinery.

The model creators would need a system that can use tag information assigned to modelled objects as part of a linked database.

It should be able to accept models created in Leica and Autodesk software, like Cyclone and AutoCAD. The end user will need to be able to navigate easily around the model, and have the ability to select single items in the model to list any information about those items.

I know there a lot of software packages out there that can do some or all of these things and would like to politely ask any software manufacturers not to reply to this post.

I am ideally looking for the experiences of surveyors, laser scanner users and 3D modellers and what they feel to be the best software solutions to this problem.

Matt
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Re: GIS System for the Petrochemical Industry

Post by Graham »

I would like to know what you think an intellegent model is. Whenever I come across this it would be the data is a pipe as opposed to a cylinder but then doesn't this mean it is in a proprietary format?
marco
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Marco Lopez
Company Details: Exon Tech Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by marco »

Hello,

I know you said no software developers need reply. But we are also modellers and scanners who have taken on just such a project. we tried various bits of software that all fell short of what we thought they could do - so we wrote our own.

we should be a useful reasource and you are welcome to ask any questions, I will try and tell you our experiences
marco
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Marco Lopez
Company Details: Exon Tech Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by marco »

On the specific question "what is and intelegent model?" then the answer is the entities you see in autoCAD are in an SQL database that holds the model. Autocad displays it according to the users wishes. All the elements that can be seen in the model are linked to the database and all parts of the(customers) company can access them in different ways from accounts, estimating maintenance, engineering. etc.

In the highest level of intellegent model, reporting from the SQL database will give buills of materials Isometrics Maintenance schedules cutting lists purchase orders, and should be able to link into many sql systems if one has capable IT guys available.

In order to build an "Intelegent Model" suitable software is needed. to go from point cloud to intelegent model can be a very costly and labourious excercese and a lot of software tends to go 80 or 90 percent of the way there.

I hope this is informative
josia.damas
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Jose de la cruz Damas
Company Details: IKTAN Serivicios Integrados S.A. de C.V.
Company Position Title: General Director
Skype Name: hermanitrox

Post by josia.damas »

Im making this in mexico and peru, and is very nice, because we use a free software from a video game graphics motor, so you can make your model intelligent and interactive with a very beautiful render

you can see all the process on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERGizrZE97g

You can use every model from cyclone or auto cad, and is possible to create a database like client require, even you use to simulate some process because all the physics is programmed. As you can see at the end of this video the interaction between the model and the user is at any level, you can see the parts of a motor or wherever you want.

we develop this model on this year and we are making the first one for a coke plant

If you need more info please let me know

bye
José Damas
Project Manager
www.grupoiktan.com
Scanning the past to build the future.
DanCutler
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dan Cutler
Company Details: Bentley Systems
Company Position Title: Application Engineer
Skype Name: dan_pointools
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by DanCutler »

Matt, you're asking a lot! - software that is complex and detailled enough to hold information about lots of materials, systems and processes, but also simple enough for non-teccy people to access, understand and make good use of.

if you're creating models in AutoCAD, Plant 3D is your 1st port of call - but i'm sure you've explored that avenue ;)
Bentley's equivelent software is another option, i think it's easy enough to convert from Autodesk > Bentley formats. Another option is Revit - but i'm not sure if the complexity you talk about is beyond Revit's capabilities.

what do you think about the possibility of not modelling everything and instead using the point cloud as your base model? as software and hardware improves i think this can work for large projects but then you have the issue of educating the client in most cases.
Sandy.Walker
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sandy Walker
Company Details: KCA Deutag
Company Position Title: Design Engineering Student

Post by Sandy.Walker »

Matt, I'm curious as to where you got with this one. I see you first posted this questions almost two years ago.

- Sandy
Sir! We are surrounded on all sides! Excellent, we can attack from any direction.

Return to “Oil & Gas Industry”