Architecture: Faro LS of Leica SS2 (Pulse or TOF)?

Discuss all Construction & Architecture related issues here.
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Architecture: Faro LS of Leica SS2 (Pulse or TOF)?

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hi Matt.

Thanks for your explanation!

Our incliniation sensor measures how much "out of level" the scanner is in both axis. This information is then automatically used by FARO Scene to compensate the data and make the scans horizontal. The compensation is also (always) applied when you used surveyed target coordinates unless the user turns the use of the information off in FARO Scene.
It offers a working range of +/-15° in which the user does not have to care for leveling if he does not want to. But it is not monitoring movements during the scan (not sure if this is really necessary at this short scan times).

Regarding the original question: I am absolutely conform with your opinion regarding accuracy ;)

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

With the Faro120 is it possible to setup over a known co-ordinate and backsight a single target with a known co-ordinate? I think this saves alot of time as less control is needed whilst on site.
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer

Post by danielgadowski »

Hi
No Phil, Faro will not be able to do that. You need compensator to be able to use the scanner like that. And I would expect Oliver, as a manufacturer’s representative, to know the differences between compensator and inclination sensor...
Dan
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

danielgadowski wrote:Hi
No Phil, Faro will not be able to do that. You need compensator to be able to use the scanner like that. And I would expect Oliver, as a manufacturer’s representative, to know the differences between compensator and inclination sensor...
Dan
Hi Dan,

So it works by resection then? Although I think as surveyors we tend to over control a site anyway for redunancy.

Phil
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by danielgadowski »

Hi Phil
Yes, it always works based on resection, just like HDS6000 and all other phase scanners. And in that case I believe control redundancy is quite crucial if you are after accurate resuls.
Dan
mikle-d
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Mikhail Druzhinin
Company Details: NanoSoft
Company Position Title: expert
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by mikle-d »

Oliver Buerkler wrote: ...
It offers a working range of +/-15°
Hi Oliver!
Can you tell me what will be the value of error at the 50m distance due to 15 degrees of inclination?
I think that 5' (not seconds) is more useful value of compensator range used in most of geodetic instruments, because it's difficult to calculate true corrections for measurements if instrument is out of 5' range.

Mikle
joe.3dlm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joe Beeching
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager

Post by joe.3dlm »

danielgadowski wrote:Hi
Dan
Dan,

It is possible to use a scanner in the way Phil descibes, even without a compensator. However, you must be certain that when the scan is levelled from the inclination sensor data, the centre of rotation is the same as the scanner's origin of measurement.

So knowing this, it is possible to set up over a known point, without levelling the scanner, and backsighting to a known Remote Object.

RiScan Pro certainly offers this function (and I am sure other scanner manufacturer's software does too), and it saves time in the field - the compromise of course is accuracy, as you are relying on the scanner's inclination sensor accuracy, and on only one control point, and on the measurement of the scanner's instrument height.

Joe
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by danielgadowski »

Hi Joe,
Perhaps I used a wrong word. OK, theoreticaly it is possible to do that, but I would say it's highly doubtfull you'll get mm accuracy that you will get with compensator. Making sure you set up the scanner directly above known point and that it is absolutly leveled is almost impossible to achieve, and here compensator comes into play. In any surveying instrument (total station, scanner with compensator) you need to make sure you are above known point and leveled within compensator's range.
Additionaly compensator takes active part in data capture, that means that every scanline taken is compensated. This takes into account any movements between the beggining and the end of the scan (comming off level).
I would agree, that perhaps phase based scanners don't need compensator as they survey too quickly, but we should make it clear that inclination sensor is something different from compensator.
And one final thought: is limiting the amount of targets to only one (and saving yourself perhaps one minute) worth capturing data you won't be able to use??

Return to “Construction & Architecture”